Ouch...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch...

Default Ouch...

So I put up a video mix of me just winging it. Sorry. lol

After getting raged pretty hard I learned a couple things. Kthx

One of them,

"16. 7:40 to 8:00, make up your mind. whats your bpm range? 130 - 135 (5) or 80 - 140 (60)?" - theory28

was completely new to me. What is bpm range? When I was reading one of the early DJTT articles it said BPM should always go up with punctuated periods of rest. (bar time) These two theories certainly are not complementary to each other, or am I just interpreting them incorrectly?

Is BPM Range supposed to be a set increment that I increase my set with per song?
    Last edited by maxonemillionone; 06-05-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    senior citizen's attics, the garbage dump, swamps, underwater treasure chests, graveyards, hollowed out tree stumps, abandoned coal mines.

I think you are speaking more about changing the tempo of the entire mix either up or down within the mix. just kinda bump things around in increments of whatever seems to work in your specific style, ie in a standard electro track at 128 bpm a change of 1 bpm is going to be much more jarring than a change of 1 bpm in a 175 bpm drum and bass track...I generally use the lulls to raise tempo by about a quarter to a half bpm somewhat gradually. If you are speaking about the range of bpm for a mix...basically even though traktor has keylock and whatnot, I try to keep my tracks within 4 or 5 percent of their original tempo...they seem to lose a bit of low and high end "punch" when I start to get crazy with the tempo changes....
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Thanks brother!
    senior citizen's attics, the garbage dump, swamps, underwater treasure chests, graveyards, hollowed out tree stumps, abandoned coal mines.

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    link to video?
    I'd rather not since it is a travesty, but if you must it's under my threads started. Look for "Video Mix."

my sets are always +/- 3% max. occasionally (usually a slight genre shift or something) i'll jump up a few more in a breakdown or something. the first tune i play usually determines where the set goes.
    1bpm every 3 tracks is a good rule of thumb,
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

for anyone interested in the video and theory's comments... here's the thread link http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30837

yep, 1bpm every 3 tracks for sure. it will hardly be noticeable to listeners.

sometimes i will bump a track im playing up 1-2 bpm when i know there will be a split second of silence

what i meant by that specific point was that you were taking higher bpm songs and lowering them by a lot.

so going 125, 126, 128, 127 is fine
    but going 130, 120, 135, 80 is another story

yes, people might want to hear the track, but is it worth trainwrecking your mix?
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    what i meant by that specific point was that you were taking higher bpm songs and lowering them by a lot.

so going 125, 126, 128, 127 is fine
    but going 130, 120, 135, 80 is another story

yes, people might want to hear the track, but is it worth trainwrecking your mix?
    Forsure.

Just needed you to be a little bit more clear on that one. Thats all.

the speed gaps between your songs are too big
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast