Why does BPM counter in Traktor Pro suck so bad?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why does BPM counter in Traktor Pro suck so bad?

I just decided to give Traktor Pro another go since it runs more smoothly under Windows 7 and gives less lags and jitters.

I've already bitched about the suckiness of the tempo bend function so I'll lay of that for a second and ask about something even more obvious like BPM counting.

It doesn't even be able to count regular house beats sometimes, which is well, you can't get more basic then that.

I've tried searching for a topic on this but didn't find anything so, anyone?
    Emil Beatsnatcher Brikha | www.LQP.se | Dell XPS M1330 (2.1 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram), Traktor Pro 2.03, Novation Twitch.

You have already set your BPM range properly?

(Between 100 and 140 or 150?)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Does having a larger range effect the counter negatively? ie..I do both hip-hop and dance/house whatever. I have mine set between like..60-140.
    I also use Mixmeister's free BPM program to get them pretty close. It automatically saves the BPM info with your mp3. Very easy. I remember the days when I could give two shits about looking for a BPM and knew all the songs in my head. Too much smoke I guess...
    Last edited by Bodega Brad; 02-04-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Well, I found that this works better with my minimal and tech house collection, don't know how the other genres are infected by setting a genre based range?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

haha Tekki... you're such a sweet heart. I was tearing my hair out over here. That was a strange place to put that setting, I'd place it in the transport section. But anyway...

Thanks bro.
    Emil Beatsnatcher Brikha | www.LQP.se | Dell XPS M1330 (2.1 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram), Traktor Pro 2.03, Novation Twitch.

Personally i have found traktor pros bpm detection has been better than the rest of the programs i have used in the past.

I found the bpm range tweaking only tends to be useful for stopping traktor from detecting the bpm being in half or twice the tempo though.

Its pretty much a well accepted fact that computers are not reliable for detecting tempos so if you find Traktor Pro's bad - trust me you will be hard pressed finding anything better.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

See, with titles like that my response was gonna be

"Maybe you should listen to better house music."

but, well, yeah, that's just cause I'm not helpful.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I agree w/ Bento. Just set hotkeys for x2 and /2 tempo and that fixes most issues.
    Also, I feel like I am beating a dead horse here:
    You need to load all your tracks and preview before you play live. That way you can determine that all your beatgrids are on tempo. If your beatgrids are on tempo, you will get flawless mixes every time.
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, BCD-3000, WinXP(Pro)-SP2, Traktor Pro

Tech Guru

traktorpro's bpm detection seems to be hit n miss.

when it's right it's REALLY right ... I find it does a great job for most of my EDM tunes and so-so job for classic rock,disco,funk tunes that have steady tempo

but when it's off it's really off.. which seems to happen more for my classic rock tunes,jazz,classical etc. with un-steady tempo.

traktor 3's bpm detection is a bit more in the middle ... not perfect but barely ever WAY off like traktorpro can be at times..

ps... i agree about the pitchbend in traktorpro, it's not sensitive enough. it'd be great if there was a way to adjust the sensitivity (unless i'm missing something???)

If you "tap" the bpm manually to determine the correct beats, does it save for the next use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast