Can somebody help me with this Dubstep nightmare?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Can somebody help me with this Dubstep nightmare?

I DJ in a top 40 nightclub, lots of bars around the area I work in with a wide range of clubs and music styles. People bar hop a lot. Now dubstep is not something my boss wishes to play, it is a sure fire way to kill the vibe in the club and start fights, (we tried and that is what happened almost every time).
    I don't like dubstep myself and know very little about it and who is who in the dubstep world, however the night is not about me but about the people and I am fed up with dubstep requests.
    So I feel I should throw in a track or 2 throughout the night but I want to be cheeky about it, maybe just a 32 or 64 in between 2 tracks or maybe a song or 2 that could be considered dubstep by the majority of people who think they like dubstep that will fool them into thinking I am playing dubstep.
    Does that make sense or shall I elaborate?
    Any advise on some tracks or tricks would be appreciated, preferably in the 120-140 bpm range

i'd personally go for some house remixes of dubstep songs, the Zedd remix of SMNS by Skrillex usually goes down well!

This is a funny dilemma. Every person I have played dubstep for thinks it is horrible and when I hear it at a club it never goes well. Yet it drives people wild at festivals and raves. One answer: it is drug music. Plain and simple. I am not sure what to think of that. I have tried to appreciate it and analyze it. I cannot understand it. The beats are weak the ryhthm is wack and the wobbles are just heavy metal guitar riffs reproduced by a synth. I have seen Skrillex live and he is very good. But I was not medicated and therefore could ony appreciate his stage presence and energy on stage. He did demonstrate a possible answer to your dilemma DJMpress. He would throw in pop song mixed with his dubstep drops keeping the crowd alive. I have searched for some of these remixes and have come up cold. Maybe you can start remixing them before your gigs. For example scan through your dubstep for some bomb ass wobble drops and then just drop them out of pop breaks. For example: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, etc. I recommend you practice some builds and effects using your software and/or mixer to get good at the transitions.

Good Luck.

Ah, you don't need dubstep, you need brostep. I gotcha covered.

Drunk in this (Phetsta Remix) - Surecut Kids
    Basically loud screaming of "I'm drunk in this club blah blah blah) should get the dance floor in the mood if you're in a club. You can mix out real quick if you want. I like to drop this with "how low" by ludacris over it during the verses and just do a little controllerism/mashing routine with the vocals. I use the Savoy Rmx of How Low which is a bit heavy too. Then again I don't play clubs, just at parties.

Stuttering (Millions like Us Remix) - Loick Essien
    Decent grind song. People gotta be in the mood for it though. Has some good vocals and a bit of a "hip-hop/R&B" element so you might get away with it.

Dubstep just doesn't seem like it would go over well at a top40's club scene. Even dubstep/brostep remixes of pop songs can be way too heavy and monotonous. They are a pain to find a way to mix out into something else because they are so bass heavy that you need to match it to keep up energy and feel. I don't ever have a set format so I can tailor the rest of my play list and the lead-in and out (with non-top 40's songs) to get to the dubstep. Not sure how much freedom you have.
    Last edited by Frank112916; 06-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Tech Wizard

Definitely go with the remixes, there's a ton of them. Such as Noisia's remix of Katy Perry - ET. If you play house you might play some Gemini (he sounds like prog. house with a dubstep beat). Or you could just play skrillex. Lots of DJ's that I listen to have dubstep sections of their nights/mixes to scratch that itch, and I don't think its really hard to mix out of, just set a 1 or 2 beat loop, then drop a house beat over it, then apply the filter liberally. It will sound like you did something tricky and the crowd will go wild.

Tech Guru

Just scratch the shit out of the song or even just drop on the last beat.... Doing this once or twice ina a night people wont notice
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

if you pay for djcity music (3 months unlimited downloads for $90) they have a pretty good selection of top40 dubstep remixes that you could use.

Play some really popular dubstep (modestep, nero, chase & status) for example.

We recently dropped 'Darude - Sandstorm (vaski remix)' and the club went MENTAL! But in a bar I can't find this working.
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

I'd also recommend some of Nero's poppy dubstep. It's so light and charty that I'm sure it'll go down well and the production is excellent.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Wizard

Thanks heaps guys I will check out the above tracks and try some of those techniques and see how it goes, just what I was looking for.

DJTT forums are the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast