Traktor 2 zoomed in: Where does the actual beat start?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor 2 zoomed in: Where does the actual beat start?

Hi,

Just upgraded to tractor 2 and redoing my grids as needed. I have a question: I'm not sure exactly where to place the marker. In the middle of the curves or right at the beginning of the curve or at the highest point of the curves?

Or will this vary per song and I should trust my ears and not worry too much?

It almost seems like too much zoom can be a confusing thing

Cheers

Tech Mentor

im wondering the exact same thing, but for me it seems like the beginning. Im not sure though.

Generally at the peak of the curve. When there's no grid, look for where Traktor places the transient marker. That's usually accurate, drop a grid marker there.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

I'm having issues with this too, I'm slowly regriding everything by ear. Which is easy, if the track starts with a kick drum, just cue it up and put a grid marker. It only becomes trickier with track that start with a transient.
    MBP i5 13", NI Z2, 2x NI X1, 2x NI F1s, NI Audio 8, A&H K2, Rane 2016, 2x 1210MK2e, 2x CDJ-400s, RMX-1000, NI S8, MBA 11"

tip: drop a grid marker on an obvious kick, then if you want your grid marker at the start of the track just put snap on and drop a hotcue on the closest beat marker to the start. delete the grid but the cue will still be there, then cue up the hotcue you dropped and put a new grid marker there.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You want it at the start of the up in the wave form.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You want it at the start of the up in the wave form.
    Yup, combine that with when you start hearing a "whump " while slowly pushing the track forward (which typically should happen at about the same place) and you're golden.

Side note : for me, doing that works better when switching to internal playback and nudging with the mouse instead of trying to home in with timecode, which isn't precise enough at this scale/speed.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Another pro tip, move the grid one click in one direction or the other can give your synced mixes a little bit of groove. It doesn't work for everything, so do a little experimenting.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

How do we give pro tips?? Do we have to be pro's?? :eek:
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Convert

thank you all! that's really helpful. will have a mess around later with that off grid syncing tip too.

now just to find a spare few days to regrid everything - lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast