Traktor home edition
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Traktor home edition

Anyone else think a free version of traktor would be good like a version with all the features... Im pretty sure they could embed it for it outputs something like every 5 mins sound lowers and says "this is a demo version of traktor"
    A lot of people on this site get soo pissy when others torrent the software but its hard to try out stuff and see if its for you if the demo version is fairly shitty... Not saying I torrent as I luckyly got my free version sent to me from a serato user that got his from college so fuck you and forked out for traktor 1 after running a torrent for a few months to try it.... Virtual dj has a home edition so why cant we... Just an idea.....
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Wizard

Because the Demo to Traktor is full version of the program that runs for a Half hour at a time and doesn't record or broadcast, being only slightly less annoying then it telling you it's a demo version every half hour. the Home version of VDJ works with a controller for about 10 minutes then disconnects it, where the demo version of Traktor even includes the features of Traktor Scratch pro, but only for 30 minutes.

So it seems that it's almost the same thing that you are suggesting for Traktor.
    Kontrol S4 + Midi Fighter Classic - Traktor Pro 2 - MBP 15inch

Tech Guru

Oh i thought it was like a broken down version with little or no features and only 6 effects... Only posted this cause seen some more shit about people torrenting traktor and others getting annoyed, yeah vdj stops outputting sound after 15 mins but with keyboard mapping and standard card it works forever
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

I thought that already existed...?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Guru

Apparently it does... Then why do people torrent

Honestly here is my take on it -->

If you torrent professional software and make no money off of it, than that's fine. You will never get customer service and if anything goes wrong you have to deal with it. The company would have not made money off of you anyway so you aren't really "stealing" per say. The resources to creating the product have already been committed and by downloading a torrent you aren't stealing resources or products from anyone else.

Torrents can actually help companies sell a product, because once people start making real money off of the product they usually buy the real product to obtain all of the necessary features. Plus professionally playing with pirated software isn't very...professional. My feeling is this - if you torrent the product, and really enjoy using it, than you should end up purchasing it because you'll want to see the company continue to make great products. Traktor came bundled w/ the S4 and I purchased the scratch upgrade even though I'm not a professional. I hope NI can get its act together on certain things but overall it was well worth the money.

Tech Guru

True indeed, guess it makes it more popular if more people use it with illegal or legal versions... Its strange to think what they will do next?

I disagree, even if you're not profiting from the product it's still wrong to torrent it. You're denying them them income they would gain from you buying the product. A lot of people will simply never buy the real deal even if they like the product.

Not that I'd lose sleep pirating stuff. I tend to pirate software and games I'm considering buying purely so I can take it for a test run. I've also torrented the odd film though interesting all the films I downloaded I already own on dvd or on tape at home. Is this wrong? Odd situation, isn't it?

Still I've not come across a task unrelated to making music that I couldn't do with free programs.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Wizard

It's obviously wrong to torrent anything because it's just straight up stealing. There are exceptions of course, but that's for another discussion. Companies provide demos so you don't have to torrent software and use cracked copies. But they have to put some limits on that so they can still make money. What VDJ does with the home edition is smart. Is it really helping them sell more, who knows. It's certainly helped get them some attention.

Where torrenting something like music or movies is different than torrenting software, or at least good professional grade software, is that the music and movie industry produce and have produced a lot of crap for a long time, and some people will always buy that crap. So they are always making some money. If a software company produces crap, they are not going to last very long, especially in a niche market like Traktor. And if everyone steals the software, then they have no money to produce decent software.

I would also bet that the a lot of the people torrenting Traktor are the same people that are whining about it crashing, not working right, it's bad software, etc.

Basically, if you like it and use it, buy it. Just like if you like a certain music, you are more inclined to buy it.
    Kontrol S4 + Midi Fighter Classic - Traktor Pro 2 - MBP 15inch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast