Monitor's...which ones?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monitor's...which ones?

ok, so maybe its time i bought myself some descent speakers instead of using the cheap hi-fi ones ive used for years. Now everyone seems to have one of the Rokit KRK series speakers. Question is, which ones? rp5, rp6 or rp8's? for use in a bedroom what would you go for? would you go for something else instead, i have no idea when it comes to these monitor/active speakers? help me out peeps.. gimme some good advice....
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

the 8's. then you wouldn't have to get a sub.

If you want monitors strictly for accuracy, I'd recommend the yamaha HS50/80s in the same kind of price range as the KRK's. If you want something punchier and a bit more "fun" for regular listening then the KRK's are a good choice. Those are really the only two series of monitors I'd consider in the price range (next step up would be around $1k/pair for something like Mackie HR624s or Dynaudio BM5As).

Also, the krk 8's are honestly a bit overwhelming for a small bedroom tbh... 6's even without a sub are very solid (recommendations based on the power and room size are 5s for up to 112 sq ft, 6s - 170 sq ft, and 8s - 225 sq ft). If you have a chance to check stuff out in person before buying I'd definitely recommend it.

Tech Mentor

if your room isn't massive then stay away from the 8's, the bass will be overwhelming, especially in an un-treated room and their larger size will be wasted.

I find my RP6's to be perfect for bedroom use, good overall sound across the spectrum and I find them honest enough to produce decent quality mix downs. They also go really loud, beyond volumes that you would want to use them, especially for long periods of time like mixing so that wont be an issue. Also check out the dimensions, some monitors can have a large footprint so take that into account as you will need them in a good position for them to really make a difference.

As posted above, the Yamaha HS series of monitors are also great, I know that many famous producers use them, unfortunately thats all I can say on them as I haven't had the pleasure of trying them out for myself.

Hope any of that helps!
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    if your room isn't massive then stay away from the 8's, the bass will be overwhelming, especially in an un-treated room and their larger size will be wasted.

I find my RP6's to be perfect for bedroom use
    +1
    You have been to my house Paul and seen my room it aint big but it aint tiny and the 6's rattle the bloody house. You do not need the Sub in a normal house and you dont 'need' the 8's.

Unless you have the spare cash the 6's are good for the money and plenty loud enuff. They arent blisteringly loud but then your buying monitors not speakers.

Just dropped a bucket of cash on Wharfedale Titan A15's and was cash-strapped for monitors. Got a pair of Numark NPM's. Granted, they are NOT in the league of the KRK's, but they a SERIOUSLY under-rated. Some isolating rubber pads makes all the difference to them. Best R1000 (about 85 pounds) I've spent in while. When I was looking at monitors, I found the Behringers VERY impressive - comparable to DD's recommendation on the Yamahas'. I had KRK 8's on loan - great monitors (a little 'boomy' for my ear), but they are bedroom overkill. Preferred the 6's.
    356 reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    If you want monitors strictly for accuracy, I'd recommend the yamaha HS50/80s in the same kind of price range as the KRK's. If you want something punchier and a bit more "fun" for regular listening then the KRK's are a good choice. Those are really the only two series of monitors I'd consider in the price range (next step up would be around $1k/pair for something like Mackie HR624s or Dynaudio BM5As).
    I whole-heartedly agree on the Yamahas, I think the HS80s blow everything else in that price-range out of the water by a good margin. While the KRKs have way more bass response, their hi and mid ranges are lacking clarity in comparison with the Yamahas.

(Disagree a bit on the HR624 as the next step up, though. They suffer the same kind of problems as the HS80s - a bit of lack in the bass range - and overall I would see them in pretty much the same category soundwise. Certainly not so much better as to justify almost double the price. Granted, I did not A-B them, but I own the HS80 and one of my best friends has the HR624, so I know both speakers quite well.)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Mate mackie mr series sound far nicer than krk's rp's. Iv got the MR5's (mkI's) and they sound amazin, absolutely no need for a sub in my bedroom.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    the 8's. then you wouldn't have to get a sub.
    I call BS. And yes, I've heard the RP8s. It's not a matter of loudness, it's just the fact that an 8" cone can't reproduce sub-bass. They're not big enough, and they're not tuned for that.

If you want to hear sub-bass, you need a subwoofer, and that's all there is to it. That being said, the RP10s isn't that much bigger…it's just a little better tuned. It does make a huge difference, though…having a sub that has a half-small cone that's tuned decently well makes a noticeable improvement even when played alongside 15" full-range woofers.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    If you want monitors strictly for accuracy, I'd recommend the yamaha HS50/80s
    Funny. Those speakers are powered re-issues of some speakers Yamaha used to make as bookshelf speakers that studios started using as an example of what "everyone else" heard.

They're not made to be accurate, they're powered bookshelf speakers marketed to DJs and Producers because a lot of studios have a pair anyway.

They're not bad…I've heard several of the new ones and one un-powered pair that are about as old as I am. They're a decent choice, but they're still not dead-flat studio monitors.

And now having enough experience with Genelecs that I feel half-qualified to comment…if you want them to DJ, any of them are fine. When I was shopping around, KRKs took the edge over Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha, M-Audio, and a couple others…not because they were flat but because I liked the sound. Actually, the M-Audios beat them out by a tiny bit…the sales guy just gave me a slightly better deal on the KRKs, and the BX-5As weren't $50 each better.

Frankly, compared to actual high-ish-end studio monitors, none of those are remotely flat. You want that, you'll be spending at least $700 each on Genelec 8030a or similar. And you probably won't like the sound…they're insanely flat and really unforgiving…that's what they're made for.

Oh, and if you're in a normal-sized bedroom (read: not a palace), get the RP5 or RP6. The rest of them are just insanely loud. I run mine at about -20 in my room and hear things fine. I've done very small house parties (~30 people; ~150 sq. ft.) with my RP5s at 0dB and a couple 10" home-audio subs. It's not "loud," and it's not the club experience, but it worked. I was still wearing my normal earplugs that I always wear to perform or go clubbing, and I could still hear just fine.

If your hearing is already shot, you might benefit from the RP8s. Or if you're in a very generously sized room. Or if you want to turn them up enough to need hearing protection in your own house.

Default Monitor's...which ones?

Ok, thanks for the advice guys, some real good feedback there. Karlos yes I remember the sound in yours and that was more than loud enough. I can get a pair of the 6's from why buy new, either new or B-stock it doesn't bother me which here's a http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipm...d-monitors.htmlink
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast