Advice on setting up your own night
    Tech Wizard

Default Advice on setting up your own night

first of all if this is in the wrong section please someone move it and yep i know this sites mostly about dj tools but isnt everyone out there practicing in order to get gigs later

so anyways here is the scenario me and my mate are up a trance night in my city (bradford, Uk) no other club here really plays it but after doing a set at the end of uni party we know there is a demand for it and generally talking to people most have said there sick of the R&B and like trance and would like a night for it.

Personally i haven't done my own night before but my mate has done many at the uni and surrounding clubs including the venue we have got. The venue is Vampire in Tokyos (if your in the uk you probably know this club) its a commercial club but the vampire room is seperate and has a capacity of about 300-400.

The even will be on the 1st of july so we hahve some time for setting up, planning and promoting.

The equipment we have is a Shuttle XPC running Traktor with a maya44 soundcard, Vestax VCI 100 and a 25 key akai keyboard there is also a macbook as a backup. I think the club also has cdjs so al take my cd wallets just in case.

Were planning to promote it as an edm night as oppose to just trance, i plan to play some slower tunes at the start house then some electro then go into trance.

Personally i have been a bedroom dj for many years and recently got a break and done some house partys as well as the end of uni party my mate is pretty much in the same boat.

Since we got the venue for fairly cheap the entry price wont be much at all usually around here its £5 to get in but i plan to do it like £2 before 10pm £3 before 11 £ and £5 after that. Am going to obviously let all my friends know about this and also everyone at work.

The big idea is to have a monthly where we play trance and other dance music.
    Am looking for advice from previous people who have done there own night, now i know the basics from watching countless youtube videos and reading books but real world experience isnt a match for pre made things.

Some advice on promoting would be good, right now were thinking the obvious flyers and posters and then get some attractive girl to hand out flyers in town and also using blackberry messenger, twitter and of course facebook. Perhaps even give out free cds and tickets.

please feel free to give any advice and previous experience.

Flyers. cant ever have enough flyers. print off millions of them and ask to leave stacks in local shops etc.
    facebook events, a lot of people get spammed with them and dont look at them, but there are quite a few that do look and turn up.
    You say your a uni student? tell everyone you know, and everyone you dont know, again, flyers, there a lunch hall ? one on each table

thats what i did when i promted my first event. local college covered in flyers + near every clothes shop in the local town
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Flyers. cant ever have enough flyers. print off millions of them and ask to leave stacks in local shops etc.
    facebook events, a lot of people get spammed with them and dont look at them, but there are quite a few that do look and turn up.
    You say your a uni student? tell everyone you know, and everyone you dont know, again, flyers, there a lunch hall ? one on each table

thats what i did when i promted my first event. local college covered in flyers + near every clothes shop in the local town
    oh thats some good advice! most of the students have gone home but we have thought about the college as when the event happens there exams are over. I never thought about clothes shops! i will definately make a note of that in addition to that its going to be in takeaways which should help

It's also a good idea to have people flyering for your club on the night,
    that can bring in a lot of custom.

Get your night in local listings and national listings too
    2x Technics 1200's - Xone 92 -
    MidiFighter Classic x2 - TSP2 - Audio 10 - Black MacBook