How good will i be as a producer?What after 50?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How good will i be as a producer?What after 50?

This question was stuck in my head for the past 2 months. If i become a producer, till what age will i be able to hold good as someone with a stable and satisfying income? What can i do after My mid-forties or fifties? A music program coder? Job at NI, Ableton , Livid, Monome inc ?????

Or start a company for linux DAW fighting for a place along Logic, Protools, Ableton?

Who says your going to make good money as a producer?
    And just because your old dosen't mean you cant produce, or master, or own a record label, etc.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Talent doesn't necessarily fade away with age.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I second that. When you get to that age you wanna be thinking of retiring and spending your time doing the things you love.

For example making music.

…as long as you don't kill your ears in the process.

There are a few people left over from the early days of House, Techno, Acid, and Rave that are still touring and producing.

This guy
    was the front man/vocalist for the Shamen among other music-related stuff like owning clubs, producing tracks, and DJing at a high level for about as long as I've been alive.

He looks like this now:

And I saw him spinning in Atlanta a couple months ago. He's still really freaking good, and he's still touring at 53. I'm already years behind his CV. Chances are, so are you.

And there are countless examples like that…from the huge guys like Sasha and Oakenfold to the local guys like Atlanta's Kai Alce.

We're all probably behind where they were at our age. Don't worry so much about the future, certainly not when you're probably not doing all you can with the present.

I mean…I'm not either. No judgement…just saying.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

No but the urge to create can fade away... Its happened to many great people whos output wears thin.

The biggest mistake in the OPs post (one often made by people at an young age) is putting an age limit or timescale on something.

Its a common attitude to have in your teens or whatever. "i want to have/be by the time im 30" or blah blah. 20, 30, 40, 50 whos to say when someone is to young or too old to do something.
    Goals are good of course but its not crucial to be something at a certain age. Life doesnt work like that for 'most' people.

Most people get to a certain age (could be any age) and realise that life doesnt work like that... with the best will in the world your plans might not always work the way you wish.
    Life has a habit of throwing challenges in your way that disrupt the "grand plan"... as long as you still keep dreaming and still keep having the creative urge your plans are never dead. But dont judge what you do against your age, just do it.

Music production, touring blah blah blah doesnt stop cause your old look at all these old school rock bands like Kiss, Status Quo, The Eagles etc etc all still performing.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    …as long as you don't kill your ears in the process.

There are a few people left over from the early days of House, Techno, Acid, and Rave that are still touring and producing.

This guy
    was the front man/vocalist for the Shamen among other music-related stuff like owning clubs, producing tracks, and DJing at a high level for about as long as I've been alive.

He looks like this now:

And I saw him spinning in Atlanta a couple months ago. He's still really freaking good, and he's still touring at 53. I'm already years behind his CV. Chances are, so are you.

And there are countless examples like that…from the huge guys like Sasha and Oakenfold to the local guys like Atlanta's Kai Alce.

We're all probably behind where they were at our age. Don't worry so much about the future, certainly not when you're probably not doing all you can with the present.

I mean…I'm not either. No judgement…just saying.
    A couple of years ago he stuck his whole record collection on ebay when he was moving to LA. I don't think I could have done that.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

How much did it go for.

A m8 of mine sold all his vinyl he had fuckin loads of them, gutted man he didn't even tell me. I would of bought them from him.

A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast