Just General DJ chat...
    Tech Wizard

Default Just General DJ chat...

Hey DJTT

Its raining heavily outside, has been for 12 hours, Xbox is boring me, might go on later and worst of all my speakers have broke plus I accidently deleted my VDJ software and cba downloading it so no DJing ... So some questions =D

1. How much would you guys charge per gig... In a club, at a bar, at events etc.

2. How'd you start DJing and at what age? How long ago was that?

3. Whos your inspirational DJ? Why?

4. Whats the easiest music you can mix, Not even if you like it, just the easiest you can mix.

5. Any Advice you can give out to the DJTT forums?

and 6.
    Any questions you want to ask?

Thanks for Replying
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Tech Wizard

Ill Answer for me lol

1. I havent had any gigs yet but around here its about £85-£100 for a Bar/club gig

2. I started DJing after I got my first Deadmau5 album (I know you all hate his guts so please dont rain shit down on me) and I started watching his videos, and at the time I had been to a few clubs and house parties and always felt that I could make a better house party if I was A DJ, rather than listening to some top 40 bollocks... so i started from january Im 17 now, only turned 16.

3.Deadmau5...Yeah you all hate his guts from that hater speech on DJs but he still does make some good songs, but besides his music I love his personality, hes a bit of a cunt and he knows it and just has a good time no matter what people say, just makes me laugh! Seems like a down to earth guy who knows that being yourself is the best way to live... I could talk for fucking hours about him so ill end there.

4. Hardstyle/hardcore music... First time my friend asked me to mix it, was rediculously easy...I basicly bashed the cross fader back and forth and it sounded perfectly. lol

5. Um for beginners.. Listen to your Fellow DJTT memebers advice! Always right! Well... most of the time
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher

Tech Wizard

At Livemau5: deadmau5 is a dick. He got my gf's best friend arrested on possession charges (after deadmau5 came to him to talk about DJ shit and party), and he's a massive douche about it. Also, he only talks about minecraft if you meet him in person. And he doesn't do shit live to boot.

Tech Wizard

Your Gf's best friend knows deadmau5? Have you met Him?
    Yeah you see, i like minecraft.... :|

To be fair, alot of major DJs dont do their sets live but Deadmau5 seems to, he used that massive see through board at Earls court and he has his decks lowered to crowd level often to see what hes doing.

Tech Wizard

She doesn't really know him, she knows him through a friend. But yeah, her friend knows him pretty well. I hesitate to say friend, but they're...they know each other, for sure. No, I haven't met since I was still in the states when all this happened. And yeah, I have nothing against minecraft, but...it's all he talked about, with 5 people who've never even played. And in the ballroom at NYC he was a disaster live, didn't do any mixing at all.

Tech Wizard

Right, I actually kinda like the idea of this thread - and unsurprisingly its raining like fuck here as well - so I'm gonna answer your questions so that we can leave the DeadMau-five bashing aside!

1. At the moment I take in £50 an hour for residencies or somewhere between £150-£200 for a one off event. And I take £100 a show for a constant residency I do. It's less than usual, but its regular, and regular pays the bills.

2. 19. I was involved in the music scene and someone working for a club asked if I'd do a few nights. So I did. And I stayed. And I started - don't hate me - on two laptops with iTunes and faded between them. 2 years ago now

3. I love mashup, so I'll say Super Mash Bros. They got me interested in DJing in the first place

4. Dubstep

5. Network. Network like fuck. Its who you know not how you mix. Sad but true.

Tech Wizard

Well its a big deal for me to be like.... 4 people away from deadmau5.. lol
    Oh...well i guess its that dont meet your hero thing then lol
    I never heard about that one, i just heard about his fail at the 9:30 club

Good thread idea!

1. I currently get around $50/hr (AUD) for bars etc. However I usually do things for around $50/ night for friends parties etc (my main bookers :P)

2. Ohhh, think i was about 16 when I managed to trainwreck two CDs together with my high school's mixer - and got hooked ever since. I then saved like mad and bought a pair of CDJ100s & and shitty 2 channel mixer - this was serious kit for a 16yo!! Unfortunatly I sold my decks to go travelling about 18 months ago - and have only just got back into things about 6 months ago with a budget Mixtrack. And I'm now at uni and still have no money for decent gear.....

3. My biggest inspiration would have to be a local DJ in my area who I occasionally worked as an offsider for. This guy simply had so much fun in giving people a good time!

4. Easiest to mix - the intro/outro of EDM. Simply match the beat, swap the kicks, and fade on over....

5. As jimbly says - Network like fuck. Honestly, it gets you places. Also NEVER be an arrogent prick. Listen to what others have to say, and just be a nice guy all round. The other DJs arent your competition, they're youre friends and doorways to more gigs
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEMAU5 View Post
    Well its a big deal for me to be like.... 4 people away from deadmau5.. lol
    Oh...well i guess its that dont meet your hero thing then lol
    I never heard about that one, i just heard about his fail at the 9:30 club
    A lil bit off topic but i'm "on your side" on this. I love deadmau5 too don't worry One thing that i kind of have going for me is that I live in toronto and he lives here too, and I've actually ran into him once on the street and just said hi and he wasn't a douche. Real down to earth, walking down the street, listening to music on his HDJ-2000 and taking pics.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by elio_xh View Post
    A lil bit off topic but i'm "on your side" on this. I love deadmau5 too don't worry One thing that i kind of have going for me is that I live in toronto and he lives here too, and I've actually ran into him once on the street and just said hi and he wasn't a douche. Real down to earth, walking down the street, listening to music on his HDJ-2000 and taking pics.
    Man, your so lucky lol I'd love to go see him in concert but he hasnt came to Northern Ireland. And id probably shit myself if i saw him in person... Did he talk much to you?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbly1990 View Post
    Right, I actually kinda like the idea of this thread - and unsurprisingly its raining like fuck here as well - so I'm gonna answer your questions so that we can leave the DeadMau-five bashing aside!
    Yeah please, id like to get to know my fellow TT community members
    Im starting to get into the forums again :')

2. 19. I was involved in the music scene and someone working for a club asked if I'd do a few nights. So I did. And I stayed. And I started - don't hate me - on two laptops with iTunes and faded between them. 2 years ago now
    WOW, Thats coming from a tough background to start DJing... two laptops and Itunes :') Brilliant lol

5. Network. Network like fuck. Its who you know not how you mix. Sad but true.
    Hmm, I dont have many links in the Club scene, ive got a cousin whos apparently a really really big DJ in the UK so he could get me in lol

MOAR THREAD REPLIES PLEASE