effects issues

Thread: effects issues

Tech Mentor

Default effects issues

hi

im finding some issues with various aspects of pro

even though i like the effects in pro im finding that some of the volume and parameter transitions using the effect are not very good

for example - if im using the reverb t3 effect - i find as soon as i turn the effect knob just a little then the volume on the track im playing makes a huge jump

i could smart knob this so that the gain/an eq button decreases to adjust for the volume gain but then i would want this smart knobbed to all decks - which means that i have to assign all the gains/eq to the reverb effect, which will obviously now work because if i want to turn on the reverb then it will adjust the gain/eq on all tracks ....
    .....or i assign 4 different smart knobs so that this does nt happen .. and i dont really want to use up 4 buttons on my midi controller to control to do this

also i cant find a way to fade in the flanger effect - as soon as i switch it on the effect is there .. bang .. no subtle fade it ... the wet and dry knob is no good in a situation if i have some other effects running and want to fade in a flange effect

i find the changes in style of beatmashes on the beatmasher to be .. er ... not very good, in my opinion .. or is it just the way im using it and lack of experience

with the mullholland drive there is a faint but noticeable enough distortion and volume change when i switch it on even if i have it turned all the way down - same with the phaser - there is no point on the rotary where you can leave the rotary switched on ready to slowly fade in the effect ... it instantly effects the sound as soon as you switch it on

etc etc - i also think it would be a good idea to have a dry/wet kill switch and also and a volume kill switch for the decks on the mixer

ive read the smart knobs article and it is useful but doesnt really help with some things im finding are issues and im familiar with using smart knobs with device racks in ableton so i have an understanding of the concept and its possibilities

is this mostly down to my lack of experience using pro or is anyone else finding these issues with the effects ?... any advice would be appreciated -

thanks
    Mac book pro 10.5.6 (2ghz - 2Gb), Traktor Pro, NI Audio kontrol, Novation 25SL, Korg Kaoss Pad, Evolution x-session, Ableton Live 7.0.12

Tech Mentor

just to add to this

im sat at the moment just playing around with loops and trying different effects combos

had a beatmasher, gater and delay on a deck

playing the track, have the beatmasher knob turned half way, gater half way, delay switched on and ready but turned down -

switch it on the masher, mashes the beat, .. ok
    switch the gater on ... gates it .....

turn up the delay and - punch in the other track and make a delay and filter fade into the other track .. as the other track comes to a break which is very open, minmal and atmospheric ... i bring down the volume on the original track only to be left with a gated, flangey sound still pumping away over the other track !!!!

not what i wanted .... am i doing something wrong?
    Mac book pro 10.5.6 (2ghz - 2Gb), Traktor Pro, NI Audio kontrol, Novation 25SL, Korg Kaoss Pad, Evolution x-session, Ableton Live 7.0.12

Assuming you're using the effects in chained mode, have you tried each effect seperately in advanced mode? - as far as i remember you are able to save your own parameters as a default setting, and then this is also used when you switch to chained?

Could be the defaults aren't to your taste, edit away

edit: i think what you describe about the masher/gate/delay thing is that the beatmasher is essentially a short length sampler (see Ean's articles on the front page) - the masher holds this sample even when the deck volume is turned down... you need to 'release' the sample form the masher
    Last edited by Sc1C; 02-06-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

Tech Mentor

cool man - thank you

i was aware that you could have the effects in advanced mode but didnt realize you could save adjustments to a default

really appreciate it

Tech Mentor

jeesus

thanks again - i just got rid of that hissing in the gater

Tech Mentor

errr

the hiss has gone in the advanced but even though i have clicked the snapshot symbol it will not save it as a default for using as a chained effect

even after restarting traktor - i have the manual open and cannot see what im doing wrong

The presets that you save in advanced mode dont work for chained mode.

Basically what i want to see is being able to create out own way that the chained effects work, but thats just not an option at this point in time.

The only way to create out own smartknobs it to use the effects in advanced mode, but obviously thats rather restictive because you can only have 1 effect on an advanced effect unit at a time.

Also that gating effect that you are hearing is the rythmic noise inserted by the beatmasher - if you want to control the level of that you need play with the wet and dry mix. Obviously though that work around it not allways what you are after and here in lies the problem with the chained effects in traktor.

Effects nearly allways do things with your volume levels and how much they effect the percieved loudness of the track depends on the source material that your running though the effect. You constantly want to be adjusting your levels as your working with effects to keep everything sounding tight and not peaking the output.

Tech Mentor

thanks man

im thinking i might have an advanced on deck 1 and chained on 2 and see if there is an option to midi up a scroll menu for the advanced - so i can choose one effect on deck 1 and then effect it with various things on deck 2

Bah... i hadn't checked it myself (at work atm anyway) but i thought the default would work for chained... big miss there
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!