Firewire interface + ac adapter :(

Default Firewire interface + ac adapter :(

Guys I have a M-audio audiophile which has a firewire connection. I have 2 firewire cables that came with it. One ending with 6 pins which I use to connect it to my desktop, and with that cable I donīt need to use the AC adapter it is bus powered. But when going mobile I need to use the cable ending in 4 pins for my laptop and I need to use a huge AC adapter. My question is that if I buy this cheap 6Pin (Female) to 4Pin (Male) adapter , am I going to be able to get rid of the ac adapter and get bus power from my laptop? My guess is that no, but has anyone has tryed this?

I am looking at this kind of adapter

i tried something similar like that but the 4pin would keep on falling out.

So i installed a firewire express card -

If you plan to buy one of these things make sure its got a "Texax instruments" chipset in it as these seem to be the most reliable for audio purposes.

Also you will still need an AC adapter with either of these appraoches.

Thanks Bento for your fast reply. So let me ask you this other way... is there any way of getting rid of this ac adapter?

Well i have been thinking a battery pack mod must be possible - if you were using one of those express cards it would just be a matter of supplying the right ammount of power into the interface or into the power slot on the expresscard itself.

Yes that is some mayor work. But I donīt understand why I would not be able to get bus power using the express card you recommend. Considering that I have a pci firewire card installed on my desktop from which I do get bus power, and dont need the ac adapter. Is it the laptop that donīt have enough power?

Thanks!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The 4-pin firewire ports and the Expresscard slots don't transmit power. This was a big complaint about Final Scratch Live.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

yup that's what those other 2 cords on the 6-pin cable do. just getting that adapter won't work.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

The worst thing is that my ac adapter is for 110V (American version) and here we use 220V, so I need to carry an extra voltage transformer plus the ac adapter. Very bad.... I will put my efforts in finding a similar ac adapter for 220V , I think is my only option now