Beatmatch help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beatmatch help?

Default Beatmatch help?

So im learning how to beatmatch now. And like i dont have any equipment yet except for the traktor software. i know how to beatmatch and stuff but like i just cant get the right songs that will actually mix well together. how do you guys select your songs so easily and know it will mix well. please help

equipment im getting soon:
    s4 + new software
    decent speakers
    midi fighter

Tech Guru

erm practise practise and practise and record what you do, you'll eventually stumble across a good mix and be like wow, then in a month time your mixes will be a lot better, try get songs with similar bpms and if need be you can mix to similar key'd songs, ive played guitar my whole life so find it fairly easy to pick out different keys but even matching similiar flowing songs with similar bpms is usually sufficiant
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by slpower01 View Post
    erm practise practise and practise and record what you do, you'll eventually stumble across a good mix and be like wow, then in a month time your mixes will be a lot better, try get songs with similar bpms and if need be you can mix to similar key'd songs, ive played guitar my whole life so find it fairly easy to pick out different keys but even matching similiar flowing songs with similar bpms is usually sufficiant
    Thank you for your help. appreciate it. ive played drums, guitar, bass, and piano for 7+ years. i kno songs i just cant put them together!

Tech Guru

no prob, any more questions feel free to ask!
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Some type of key detection software is noce to have as long as you don't rely on it to much.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/03/2...or-not-to-key/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Default Beatmatch help?

I'd prob stay away from key detection software and harmonic mixing completely till I was confident with the basics tho. It's too much to take in and get your head around when you're learning.

And you'll train yourself into bad habits of only trying to mix harmonically, which IMHO won't do you any favors in the long run. Having said that tho, it can be a handy tool - but shouldn't be your go to.

Stick with the fundamentals for now

Like said before. Check out ellaskins or mixingguide.com for some great tutorials.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJZEchevarria View Post
    So im learning how to beatmatch now. And like i dont have any equipment yet except for the traktor software. i know how to beatmatch and stuff but like i just cant get the right songs that will actually mix well together. how do you guys select your songs so easily and know it will mix well. please help

equipment im getting soon:
    s4 + new software
    decent speakers
    midi fighter
    ehhh....cant really beat match without equipment. If you're trying to blend then thats diff concept. Pressing sync at any point is not beatmatching haha.
    Anyways keep practicing and messing around. You'll find certain spots of songs that are good to blend into/out of and some techniques. A little overwhelming at first but after awhile you'll get new songs and be able to spot parts that are good to mix right away. It takes practice....and it takes messing around with different ideas......80% will prob sound like ass but that 20% could be gold

most edm music has four beats in the bar
    Just learn how to count 1,2,3,4

Keep in mind something happens every 8 or 16 bars and the buildups are usually 8 bars. just cue the first beat of your next track on "1"

1st track 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4....
    2nd track - - - - - - - - - 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4....
    Check out my mixes @ Soundcloud and my website http://ralph.fm
    or like me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ralphfm

PIONEER CDJ2000/DJM800 // Traktor Kontrol S4 // 15" MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast