Should I bother learning how to DJ with vinyl??
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should I bother learning how to DJ with vinyl??

I caught the vinyl bug a while ago. I've been slowly building a collection of records. I started out with Digital Djing on Traktor and Ableton, but something is constantly pulling me to vinyl. My setup right now uses a 2 ch vestex mixer to mix between sound coming from Traktor and Ableton. I also own an Audio Technica AT-LP120 that I use with Traktor for a bit of DVS. I've been looking on ebay trying to score a second one. Best case I'll get one for $170. Besides the equipment, vinyl is fucking expensive...I can use my time codes and just do DVS, but idk. it will never be the same.

Has anyone picked up vinyl equipment and regretted it? Is it even worth learning how to DJ with vinyl these days?

Thanks!

this again
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 06-14-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Yes, it's a lot of fun and it can come in handy if you have to spin with someone who uses vinyl/dvs.
    If in doubt, stick to DVS - best of both worlds - and spring for a piece of vinyl you really like every now and then for those quick "unplugged" sessions with no laptop

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    Yes, it's a lot of fun and it can come in handy if you have to spin with someone who uses vinyl/dvs.
    If in doubt, stick to DVS - best of both worlds - and spring for a piece of vinyl you really like every now and then for those quick "unplugged" sessions with no laptop
    Agreed
    SC | MC

HAd a really nice session last night - strictly vinyl - for the first time ever. A mate came over to dinner with a sack of records and we had a couple of bottles of wine in the manshed and played random tunes to one another.

Twas damn good fun
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Agreed
    +1

There's hardly any difference between DVS and vinyl, handling-wise.

do it! i'm picking up a pair of Stantons next month when home on vacation (I know home on vacation sounds odd)

Tech Mentor

I'm picking up some tt's too, I really want to know what vinyl is like. I'n gonna stick to dvs because I can't afford (and don't really see the point in) buying vinyls, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    I'm picking up some tt's too, I really want to know what vinyl is like. I'n gonna stick to dvs because I can't afford (and don't really see the point in) buying vinyls, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun!
    I manually beatmatch (largely as gridding all of the tunes is a little impractical given to old soul and funk I play) and prefer the feel of vinyl to a platter for doing that ...

Also it's loads nicer to scratch on ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

get some, i did and i love it
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast