Cheap-ass laptop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Cheap-ass laptop

Hey guys, in a few weeks i will get a new laptop for school, and i thought 'why not also a dj laptop'. The school laptop is for computer science study and won't be cheap, but i'm not sure about the DJ laptop.

Is it possible to get Traktro Pro 2 (no DVS, yes MIDI, maybe external mixing) running on a laptop around €300/€350? Which one do you recommend? I wil ONLY use it for DJ'ing, no producing. But i do want a NEW laptop, not something from ebay.

Sorry for another laptop question, but i really am lost in the world of laptops .

the minimum specs of traktor 2 can be found here: http://www.native-instruments.com/en...specifications

really if you can afford a second hand macbook you wont disapointed, but it is more than easy to find a few well know brand laptops that meet the specs. remember, google is you best friend
    Mac Mini 2.4ghz Dual Booted OSX 10.6 and XP, TSP2, Numark Mixtrack, iPod Touch with TouchOSC. Gemini XL-500's with a mixer i'm too embarissed to admit!

Check out my easy noob build thread:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31826

Tech Mentor

I'd never use a cheapskate laptop for gig'ing. You'll find one that can run TP2 no doubt about it, but you can't really expect something durable for that kind of money. And stability should be your #1 priority.

Either buy something you can rely on, or save up some money to buy it later. I'd target for the €500-zone if I were you (and do your homework, because most of the laptops in that price range are still utter junk).

Oh, and if you're not taking it out of your bedroom, I don't see the point in buying a separate laptop?
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

MacBook hahahahaha
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the specs .
    I'm not buying an 1200 euro MacBook, then i'll rather buy an 1200 euro laptop .

And i am getting some more gigs lately, and my old Dell laptop really begins to fail me (huge latency). Which brands, beside Apple, do you think makes good laptops? I know i shouldnt go for packard bell. Acer has a bad name around here. But i hear lots of diffetent things about HP and Sony, some seem to think they make good laptops, others say the laptops are crap. I know MSI and Asus make good laptop but they are a bit pricey. And i also heard Dell is kinda crappy. But i really don't know :s

Tech Wizard

I use a lenovo and i'd highly recommend it. it's 4 years old and still runs perfectly. Core2duo 2.0ghz with 2gigs of ram and it runs traktor pro with midi perfectly (although it's not good enough for traktor scratch). i'm sure you can get a much faster system nowadays for a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Dell xps 15 z, hp beats audio competes to the mac.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytekaushik View Post
    Dell xps 15 z, hp beats audio competes to the mac.
    well i wouldn't say that

nah, just kidding, i'm simply from a mac family. i'm quiting interested in making a hackintosh though; it'd be interesting to see how it (hackintosh with specs around 2.4ghz, 2/4gig ddr2 ram, 250gigHD) would deal with traktor in comparison to my mac mini 2.4ghz.
    Mac Mini 2.4ghz Dual Booted OSX 10.6 and XP, TSP2, Numark Mixtrack, iPod Touch with TouchOSC. Gemini XL-500's with a mixer i'm too embarissed to admit!

Check out my easy noob build thread:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31826

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast