Stanton STR8-150 vs. Technics 1200-MK2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stanton STR8-150 vs. Technics 1200-MK2

Hey guys,

If you haven't seen my post on the "show your setup," I have finally bought myself an external mixer (Ecler 2.0) and although my setup currently fits my needs, I feel like a turntable will make the setup look really sweet.

Although crossgrading to Traktor Scratch will be hefty (which may make me purchase a Denon Sc-2000 instead), I am curious to know exactly which turntable to invest in if I choose to go that route.

Of course we have the classic 1200s, but I also read some reviews that the STR8-150s are really good (and some say that they outperform the 1200s). I plan on purchasing one and then mapping it to a button to switch deck focus.

Any thoughts between these two turntables? Any other turntables I should look at? I began Djing digitally so I am excited to go back to Djing's "roots" and try to learn how to use a turntable.

Thanks for the help!

Tech Mentor

Str8-150. I could not stand the low torque of the 1200. Numark TTX are nice also. as are the TT-500s, Gemini TT-04, any Super OEM basically.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would say the Str8-150 or the TTX, although I don't really like the way the TTX looks.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Oh jeez yeah that is one ugly piece of equipment. Thanks TABS for the suggestion, I shall look into each of those.

A related question regarding cartridges. What are pros/cons for banana vs. regular catridges? and which is better for timecode?

Tech Mentor

Shure M44-7 Cart, then google MAT Electronics...and look for the Shure N44-7 stylus, they track amazing, can get like 6 for $50. Then carts browse ebay, when I had mine I got 2 for $85.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Tech Mentor

I use both regularly. My dj partner uses 1200s and I have the str8-150s. We both like the str8 150s better. More powerful and awesome

1200's, sorry.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    1200's, sorry.
    amen.

Honestly, whatever works for you. But if you are going to make the move into the clubs and want to have practice equipment that is just like the club set-up then you're only option is 1200s.

But you will be fine with Stantons and going to Techs

Ive owned tech1210 mk5's... bankrupted me only for my then girlfriend to smash them... after i suffered the loss of the 1210's i bought some stanton t120c's and for half the cost of one of my tech12's i was able to buy 2 t120c's... turns out i should of just done that in the first place cause i ended up liking them way more... if you havent looked into them id try a pair of them out as well cause they are everything youd want in a deck plus more

i got some vestax pdx2000's the other week and they cost me £165 for a pair WITH a flight case/coffin. I have never owned another set of turntables so cant compare, but ive read lots of very good reviews on them and i find them excelent, when u let go of the record its like bam up to speed straight away, i think for what i paid fo them they are an absolute bargain and im glad i got em...
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast