"Intermediary midi mapping" software *discussion thread* (Traktor mapping is a pain) - Page 2
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    built in virtual midi devices would be cool. loopMIDI is great - but would make the config simpler - or at least less confusing in some ways.
    seems loopMIDI allows for exactly that:

The driver is currently part of the rtpMIDI network-MIDI driver and the loopMIDI virtual loopback MIDI cable. But it can be used for other tasks as well. If you have a music-application that needs to create its own freely named MIDI-devices on-the-fly - virtualMIDI is exactly the right tool. In case your are interested, just contact me by email. A simple-to-use DLL-interface exists to create and destroy ports and to receive and send MIDI-commands, both for 32bit and 64bit.
    http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/virtualMIDI.html

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    nice being able to use the vanilla midifighter tsi's tho.
    yeah, that's the main advantage in my eyes... being able to use the DJTT mappings without owning special hardware

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    seems loopMIDI allows for exactly that:
    http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/virtualMIDI.html
    awesome! i didn't realise that... i'll have to drop him an email.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

great project, guys, count me in! had something like this in mind for quite some time now, and i am very happy not to be alone on this now.

I have some basic c-scripting knowledge, and just read some LUA code for the first time, but it doesn't seem too complex.

really looking forward to this collaboration!

btw: midi-masher sounds good to me,

Just wanted to find out if you guys are still working on this. I have been looking around for this exact thing for ages. Super interested to see how far it has come

Quote Originally Posted by fiddelfingerz View Post
    Just wanted to find out if you guys are still working on this. I have been looking around for this exact thing for ages. Super interested to see how far it has come
    only first started work on it a few weeks ago, so yep still working on it. still going to be a couple of weeks before i release any kind of beta level download most likely. work is hectic atm so not too much free time.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Read through (most) of this.

I have had something similar in mind for quite a while.
    I wanted to incorporate a layer of mappability into my controllers, so that they could be mapped to whatever software one wanted as well as one could map them to Traktor. Maybe done in software, to also allow one to take in OSC data and commit modifiers across multiple controllers.

This would be brilliant if done, but if I might add one suggestion...
    Please please PLEASE have a go at decoding the HID protocol Traktor uses for native controllers. That way, taking in OSC data could possibly allow for much higher resolutions than midi, while still remaining mappable.

I think this is a very valid enterprise. If one looks at the most recent controller from Native Instruments, the S4, which is mapped via hard-coded firmware and HID, completely circumventing Traktors MIDI mapping system, it becomes quite clear that the MIDI mapping systems needs a serious revamp.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    bump
    oops... must admit i did think posting info on that other thread was a tiny bit OT of me and did think about this one after

this is the traktor.ua file i am using that binds lua functions to those in traktor with a tsi i have built with all the same stuff in, i'll dump the tsi here too later:

this next file functions.lua contains the functions listed after it.

the last 3 ofc can only really be used on some kind of grid controller - or at least a controller that has a group of buttons that can be treated like that etc.

The next files define controllers - these two are the main ones i have been playing with, i.e: one grid controller and one non-grid. no one really needs to tweak these either - unless they have them setup differently somehow (like maybe with an lpd8 etc). also i have a 'learn.exe' that lets you press a button on the controller and then type in its name ala traktor sort of - so mapping a new controller is quite easy (most of the time):

the code actually treats traktor no differently from any controller - they are all just *devices* that can comunicate.

i've made pretty crap progress the last few weeks but have also bought a bunch of controller since then so really really want to find some time to at least add in some missing features into the system and then get to mapping all my new ones and starting to figure out more what kind of setup is right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    I have had something similar in mind for quite a while.
    I wanted to incorporate a layer of mappability into my controllers, so that they could be mapped to whatever software one wanted as well as one could map them to Traktor. Maybe done in software, to also allow one to take in OSC data and commit modifiers across multiple controllers.

This would be brilliant if done, but if I might add one suggestion...
    Please please PLEASE have a go at decoding the HID protocol Traktor uses for native controllers. That way, taking in OSC data could possibly allow for much higher resolutions than midi, while still remaining mappable.
    not sure about the hid protocol from ni - i dont have any way of testing that. currently my code is based around an open source midi library (RtMidi) but there's no reason why it couldn't also connect via hid i guess - but would probably need a developer with access to stuff to test with. the only hid libs i have seen have been windows centric but i'm sure (?) there must be one that works on mac/linux too?

i am interested in maybe combining some hid stuff - but certainly won't think about that until some missing features have been added and it all works using midi.

so far my code should work on any of winblowz/mac/linux tho must admit i havent actually compiled it under linux yet and dont have a mac anyway. the only linux app i have really tried is mixxx - tho the mixxx controller mapping stuff is already light years ahead of traktor and probably wouldn't need it. i just prefer traktor - shame it doesnt run on linux.

pretty OT but i was pleased to grab djism.com to use for publishing my stuff on. i noticed it hadn't been renewed and grabbed it for reg fee when it finally dropped a nice one to add to my portfolio anyway...

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast