What happened?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Tech Mentor

Default What happened?

Let me start by saying I very rarely freestyle (mix without any planning), I spend most of my time 'planning' sets (which is stupid, I know).
    I decided yesterday to just try and freestyle from a playlist I've made (electro house, house, trance) and I mixed for around 30 minutes with NO hiccups at all, and the mix was amazing, all the songs went together well, unfortunately I didn't record it...
    Anyway, today I've added more songs to the playlist, gridded everything and set cue points, I've been on traktor for 2/3 hours now and no matter what I do I can't get 2 tracks sounding good together, what happened?!?!
    One thing that really p*sses me off is when you have songs that don't have the conventional 'blocks' which makes it impossible to mix with them unless you know how long the 'blocks' are compared to the 'blocks' in the other song beforehand, this isn't my main problem but it just adds to it if I choose a song that's like this.

I was really happy with myself yesterday as I was able to freestyle very well, with 3 decks, vocals layered etcetc now today I can't put 2 + 2 together, and this is why I have only been 'planning' my sets before now, it takes me so long to find songs that fit well together.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm just extremely frustrated at the moment.

Thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You were in the zone. Keep practicing and you stay in the zone longer each time.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You were in the zone. Keep practicing and you stay in the zone longer each time.
    Hmm... it was weird because the tracks I picked yesterday seemed like they were made for eachother and now today I start off with 2 tracks and mess it up in the first few minutes
    I'm too frustrated to carry on trying now, I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Pretty much this. Plus everyone has off days where everything we do we think sounds awful. Just hit record and keep trying, maybe listen to the results tomorrow and you might find that they do actually work? Getting input from some friends who aren't afraid to be (brutally) honest would be a good idea too.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Maybe they really didn't go together as well as you thought, but since you were having so much fun it didn't matter. Plus you may have not been as critical of yourself if you were free styling.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Do you know what I mean when I said about some songs not having 'normal blocks'?

Tech Guru

i find this happends all the time its to do with emotions... when I play bass that happends if im in a bad mood im convinced guitar is out of tune, song is bad quality to play along to etc... but its to do with emotions going on in our head... because we might be trying to hard are brain doesnt register what its hearing properly, can almost garuntee that your mix would probly sound perfect to other people, songs not going together proper is down to song knowledge though, drop some cue point in songs that dont fit perfect and youll see it merge nicer hope this helps
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Guru

Mixing at the club at mixing at home are two totally different things. There is a time and place for every type of song. Basically it sounded great at the club because of things like the right energy level and such.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Mixing at the club at mixing at home are two totally different things. There is a time and place for every type of song. Basically it sounded great at the club because of things like the right energy level and such.
    It wasn't in the club, it was at home. I didn't feel particularly energetic or anything, I just opened traktor and tried to mix without planning and it worked

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    I spend most of my time 'planning' sets (which is stupid, I know).
    Nothing wrong with planning the odd set, but yeah - keep winging it more....it`s good for ya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast