BCD 3000 Mapping (for Traktor Pro) - Using Modes
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Arrow BCD 3000 (for Traktor Pro) - Using Modes

hey all!

first of all let me introduce myself as i am new here (posting anyway ). my name is haang. i have been mixing for about 6 months, and although a loooooooooooong way from what i hope to be, i end up enjoying every second of it. i am currently using traktor pro with a behringer BCD 3000 midi controller, which is great for DJs starting out.

for the last few weeks i have been getting into the concept of controllerism. after gaining inspiration from the forums, tutorials and videos, i decided to incorporate some of these ideas, add a few of my own, and map these controls to work with the BCD 3000 in a logical/intuitive way. due to the extensive remapping of controls, i also created some custom colour coded labels using some paper, double-sided tape, a pen and a couple markers, in order to reflect the changes of the new mapping.

many, many thanks to ean and the dj techtools community for the inspirations and extremely helpful information!

oh! and any feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated, as it will be taken into consideration for any future releases.

PeAce!
    Last edited by haangout; 02-09-2009 at 09:40 PM.

it's pretty easy to install, just press import in the midi settings section in the configurations panel, locate and import the .tsi file and then make sure you have midi mappings checked and then press ok. should be ready to go from there!

edit: upon reviewing, i have had to add a few more instructions in order to get this mapping fully working. these instructions can be found below.

in v 2.0:

note: as i don't use the scratch or mic input function, i have remapped these buttons to other functions.

the biggest change in the interface is the mode section. as well as 2 effects modes, there are also two other modes; cue & browse. these 4 mode buttons are located in the fx control section. selecting a mode will engage it, selecting it again will turn it off (also referred as normal mode). selecting another mode when one is engaged will automatically switch from the current mode to the new one. the key deck A + B button has also been changed to a shift function, which allows you to access additional functions depending on the mode you are in. the effects modes allow you to perform a single or series of effects using the faders/jogwheels/knobs (a.k.a. Fader FX).

in fx mode 1, the default chained effects are beatmasher, filter LFO, and delay, and the advanced effect is delay. the left jogwheel controls the parameters for all 3 chained effects, and the left volume fader controls the dry/wet amount. the delay will engage as soon as the fader is moved, moving it halfway will enage the filter LFO and moving it all the way down will engage the beatmasher. moving the fader all the way back up will turn all the effects off.

on the right hand side the jogwheel controls the rate of the advanced delay, and the volume fader controls the dry/wet, filter and feed. moving the fader all the way down will engage a freeze.

in fx mode 2, the default chained effects are beatmasher, iceverb and flanger flux, and the advanced effect is the gater. the left fader controls the dry/wet, and half way down will switch from flanger to icverb or vice versa. the masher amount is controlled by the dedicated masher knob, and is engaged via the engage buttons.

the right fader controls dry/wet and shape of the gater. sliding the fader half way engages the effect, and rate and noise are controlled by the dedicated delay knob.

also in fx mode 2, the filter knobs will become super filters. they control the dry/wet and rates of the beatmasher and gater, and can be engaged using the engage buttons. without engaging the effect, the filters will behave normally.

the ext. in A & ext. in B buttons have been remapped to turn on/off the effects on each deck. this allows you to channel the effects to a single deck, or both.

the cue mode allows you to access and control upto 5 preset (by you) cue points per deck. this allows you to perform beat/cue/loop juggles, and can also be used as a sampler. selecting this mode will turn the play, cue, loop size (+/-), and 'engage' buttons into 5 hot cue buttons.

holding down any of the cue buttons will play the corresponding cue point until you let go, at which point it will automatically return you to the cue point. pressing shift + a cue button will play from the relative cue point and continue to do so. once a cue point is permanently playing, pressing a different cue point will automatically jump to play from there.

in normal mode, pressing shift + engage will play hot cue 5, which i like to call the 'drop'. this can be changed to play a hot cue [number] of your choice.

lastly, the browse mode will allow you to, you guessed it, browse and cue up your next track. pressing the browse mode button will turn traktor into a 2deck browse view. the left jogwheel will scroll up and down the left column (tree), and although traktor pro expands trees automatically, manually pressing the loop +/- buttons will expand/collapse the selected tree should you choose to do so. the right jogwheel will scroll up and down the track list. once the track is highlighted, you can load it into either deck A or B by pressing the cue buttons. when the load button is pressed, traktor will revert back to a 2deck int. mixer view.

apart from the modes, a few other changes have also been made to the position and funtion of some of the main controls;

pressing cue while paused will set a temporary cue point. pressing cue while playing will return to the temporary/last cue point you used. holding down cue will play the temporary/last cue point you used. letting go of the cue will immediately return to the start of the cue point. pressing play while cue is held down will set your cue to play. when you let go of the the track will continue to play.

pressing set cue will set a temporary cue point regardless of whether a track is playing or not, giving you the ability to drop cue points on the fly. pressing shift + set cue will assign the last cue point to the first available hot cue slot.

the gain controls have now moved to the top middle 2 knobs. they also have a soft takeover set on them, which means that the gain will not jump as you tweak the gains of one track after another, until the knob is manually turned to match the gain levels shown in traktor first.

on either side of the gain knobs are two dedicated effects controls. the left adjusts the the amount for a beatmasher, and the right controls a delay. to turn the effects on, hold down either 'engage' buttons, which have now replaced the scratch buttons. releasing the button will disengage the effect.

there are two dedicated filters (one per deck) which replace the old gain knobs. turning the filter knob left will initiate a low-pass filter and turning it right will bring in a high pass filter. these filters are always on, and are virtually off when set to the middle.

dedicated loop controls have also been incorporated into this mapping. the pitch bend buttons now shorten or lengthen a loop size, and this works without a loop engaged as well, so you can preset the loop length before engaging. pressing set loop will set and engage a loop, pressing it again will disengage it. pressing shift + loop will automatically engage a 16 beat loop on that deck.

the reloop buttons will make a loop active/inactive on either deck. this can be used to activate a preset loop, or disengage a running loop.

when you get bored of the effects have a play round with different combinations - or if you feel confident enough you can start setting up your own custom mapping to suit your style of performing. i've attatched some useful links i found and used for this mapping, which will help get you started.

the traktor bible midi mapping guide: http://www.traktorbible.com/pages/do...x?id=mgev01pdf

cheft's bcd 3000 midi/l.e.d. output notes cheat sheet (i hope you don't mind dude, it is bloody useful!):
    http://<u>http://raritiesvault.net/b...p?f=13&t=4</u>

and of course, ean's various demos and tutorials, posted all over this website!

hope this helps. have fun mixing!
    Last edited by haangout; 02-12-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Holy!

Nice post mate. I think I'll try it out and make some changes that will better fit with my style.

edit: I tried this out and it just didn't work. I couldn't get most of the things to work for me. I also had to press some buttons twice to get them to work. Not sure why...

But thanks for putting the time towards it.
    Last edited by misha_val; 02-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.

really :eek:!

hmmm i don't have my mixer with me at the moment, but i think there are a few things you could try;

1. if on windows xp, open the bcd 3000 control panel and make sure that the global mode is set to standard. (could explain the having to press buttons twice.)

2. set FX1 to chained and FX2 to advanced under the effects section in the traktor preferences panel.

3. try to re-import the mappings. i have come across some instances where i start traktor and either some or all of the controls that are mapped using direct -> relative faders/knobs suddenly become super-sensitive, but after i re-import the mapping, it works just fine.

also what os/software do you have? i am running my mappings on traktor pro in windows xp sp3 with a 1.2.0.0 driver update from behringer (link:http://www.behringerdownload.de/B-Co...XP-1.2.0.0.zip).

let me know how it turns out dude! (edit: if anyone else has tried this mapping, or encountered similar problems, please post your experiences below.)

ps. just out of curiousity, what sort of additional functions did you have in mind?
    Last edited by haangout; 02-08-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Hey, I haven't tried all your suggestions but changing the midi setting on the bcd-3000 driver from advanced to normal fixed the double button pressing

And I'm running the same set up as you. Traktor Pro, Windows XP sp3.

And I'd love to see scratching mapped properly. I haven't found a single Bcd-3000 tsi file with scratching....

yeah i feel you man, the scratch issue is what actually got me started on my own mapping.

i was trying to tackle it for ages, but with no luck. i'm led to believe that it maybe a traktor pro bug rather than a bcd bug, as this feature worked flawlessly on traktor 3/LE and even virtual dj.

anyway i soon realised that i don't really use the scratch function in my mixes, and that i could use these buttons for other functions that i previously didn't have access to. this turned out to be a big plus for me, and the possibilities with mappings are just endless.

have you tried creating your own mapping?

I've made myself a basic map. I think I'll add a couple more features though.

Arrow additional instructions and bug report

after playing around my mixer today, i have added a few additional instructions in order to get this mapping fully working;

1. set FX1 to chained and FX2 to advanced under the effects section in the traktor preferences panel, otherwise the effects do not load correctly.

2. you may have to turn the filters on manually inside traktor pro. as these filters are always on, you will never need to change this again.

as with any release, there were also a few bugs. i will find some time to correct these and re-release this mapping. if you spot a bug, please post the details below because improving this mapping's performance and stability will not only benefit me, but will ultimately benefit you as the user.

so far in v 2.0:

* filters need to be manually set to on (can be fixed so that turning the knob will automatically turn the filter on).

* in FX mode 1, the chained delay stays on after the fader has been used. this conflicts with using the dedicated masher and delay knobs. (need to change the way the delay is engaged)

* in FX mode 2, the super filters control the parameters for the beatmasher and gater, however pressing engage only activates the beatmasher. (may be a missing command).

* in cue mode, pressing shift + set loop will set a 16 beat loop but does not make the loop active (again missing a command). edit: this does not work with any of the modes engaged.

these bugs are pretty minor, so if you can't be bothered to wait for the next release, you are more than welcome to fix these yourself.

hope this helps, enjoy!
    Last edited by haangout; 02-12-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Exclamation

Great work! I have a map for the BCD3000 that's just general. I personally use a custom map, and suggest all people make it custom to their own workflows.
    Some tips:
    -You can map the control to the FX Chained and Advanced to the same buttons, so it doesn't matter which you have selected.
    -Macro the Filter On to the same knob as the Filter, so when you move the knob, even if it is off, it will turn on!

BCD3000 Midi Cheatsheet: http://raritiesvault.net/bcd3000/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4
    Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/How_...000_in_Trakto/
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, BCD-3000, WinXP(Pro)-SP2, Traktor Pro

Default LED's that light up only when held

i have tried your tip on the above subject and it's not working. It seems to come on for a number of button compressions then go off. HELP!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast