Monitor placement - okay behind you when you DJ?

Default Monitor placement - okay behind you when you DJ?

I ran out of space on my dj table so I got some expandable monitor stands from GC today. My thought was to raise them off the table and still have them face me when I DJ. I have a dragon frontboard facade though and having the speakers above the facade throws the whole look off.

I moved them to the corners right behind me and have them angled towards my laptop/S4. This is in my "studio room" in my house. My set up is in a cubby area about 9 feet wide... the wall is only 3 or so feet behind the table... so in the corners they are very close.

Is this okay?

I'm sure it's fine for a home set up, but really want to know for gigs. Once again, having them raised above the facade doesn't look good and kind of defeats the purpose. Thanks all.
    Macbook Pro 15" (2.3 GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD), S4, Maschine, Beat Masher, Cue Master

i have mine in front of me mate raised and pointing down at an angle, its the same at both clubs i play at too and to be fair previous clubs too, but... im just going on how it is, it may be ok to have them behind you, its all down to personal preference in the end.

Tech Mentor

The only issue I could see with having them behind you while playing out: You may get some phase issues at particular spots on the floor if the monitors are loud enough.

I'd expect it to be unlikely to be noticed by anyone but the most dedicated of chin-stroker, and they're not going to be on the dancefloor anyway.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

doesnt really matter for mixing at home as long as you can hear it ok

doesnt really matter for mixing in a club as long as you can hear it over the house system

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Monitors at home and the club serve completely different purposes unless you have a large system at home that's playing the music. My guess is you don't so the monitors are just for listening purposes. If that's the case it's like Josh said and as long as you can hear them you're okay. If you're serious about production then placement becomes a different issue all together.
    Last edited by photojojo; 06-17-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I played a regular gig were the monitors were about 5 feet behind me.
    They were huge, standing about 6 feet high and 4 feet across so when I turned them up it was a wall of sound behind me.
    It was brilliant. The venue was huge and the speakers were far away so there were no issue with fold-back or phasing.

Tech Mentor

Does not matter, unless you want to see them