Anyone else hit this point?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else hit this point?

What did you do?

Basically, I began DJing on vinyl when I was about 17, then experiemented with early digital formats like MixMeister back in the early 2000s. Then when I was about 24, in 2004, I moved onto CDJs before finally moving on to Traktor a couple of years ago and in the last 6-12 moved onto Ableton and Reason.

In the past I've played live quite a bit and had regular nights etc, usually being able to play what I wanted rather than crowd requests etc so could play music I enjoy. However, in the past couple of months I seem to have completely lost interest.

I'm now finding myself barely using Traktor nor my VCI-100, LPD8 or my Launchpad. Instead, I'm finding myself producing a lot using Ableton and Reason and am now consider selling my entire DJing setup (and only a month or two ago I was considering switching to the Twitch for DJing!).

Anyone else hit this kind of 'wall' and what did you do? Any regrets etc?
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

I think everyone has these feelings at some point in there music life

if your not feeling the dj aspect of it take a step back and just concentrate on your production then in time you might want to start playing your own tracks out

Tech Mentor

This happens all the time I think.. I have come the other way, having sent most my time producing on ableton, reason etc (15 years) I Hit a wall 3 years ago and slowly found myself enjoying mixing more and more. Now I only mix really and my synths and are just collecting dust or have been loaned to mates for gigs.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Mentor

I'm getting to that point now. When I give myself time for music, I mostly go straight to Ableton and start producing as opposed to opening up Traktor and having a mix.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Tech Convert

i stopped having practice sessions a year ago, and i can still give a good set on the fly

i mostly make premade sets in ableton and tweak the effect knobs and play the bass
    some frown on it, but the end result is a tighter sounding set which has been produced and mastered, and still i have control over the synth paramaters and all the elements

if someone gives requests, i can still acommodate them :P

so, if you see it as a wall, it will stop you. if you see it as a challenge (god that sounds so corny...) then you can defeat it

try combining production and djing in a different way

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

21 years ago I got burned out on music. Doing several nights a week with each night being at least 4-5 hours was just to much fro me so I quit. I spent maybe $200 on music that entire time. Take a break and do something different, but try and stay involved in the community somehow be that in production or promotions or whatever opportunities you have.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/08/02/keep-djing-fun/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yep going through that at the moment, started on vinyl late 80's was playing out doing clubs bars in the early to mid 90's then quit due to RL and work, bought a laptop and found everything new and shiny, started mixing again for a year or so, also started to learn production, missus bought me a guitar at xmas, I have found i get 100x more satisfaction from playing that guitar and learning than, i have ever done mixing, i put that down to a few things.. 1) pick up guitar play or try that simple, 2) i don't play out anymore life is just too busy 3) I like to make my mixes are perfect as possible which means I really do have to be in the right frame of mind and select my tunes otherwise i fail and I hate failing when it comes to mixing..

so currently rl is in the way and the guitar lol, admittedly i really should do it for the joy, but then i pick up the guitar and try and learn a rockabilly chord pattern or something bluesy and i feel enlightened..

I think the other issue is i have always like house as my music of mixing choice, but i am an avaid buyer of blues jump blues r&b rockabilly 60's & 70's funk, i was a bboy back in the 80's probably seeing a pattern, the guitar just feels so much more intune with what i have loved since a kid, the house and electronic music i picked up later, i just think I am now finally learning something a bit more intune with me.

p.s i know i sound like a fucking hippy,
    p.p.s i am 40 this year rofl!

Yep.

I started playing guitar.

I seem to collect expensive hobbies.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'm in the point where I have a very hard time finding music that I love and stands out from the rest (lots of people are producing tracks, very few are writing music), besides from the fact that I have second to none time to practice nowadays. I'm listening to non-gig music I haven't listened to in years mainly.

The odd thing is, I'm always mapping something, I find it somehow therapeutic.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I'm in the point where I have a very hard time finding music that I love and stands out from the rest (lots of people are producing tracks, very few are writing music), besides from the fact that I have second to none time to practice nowadays. I'm listening to non-gig music I haven't listened to in years mainly.

The odd thing is, I'm always mapping something, I find it somehow therapeutic.
    exactly this, sooo much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast