house party tmrw night! sub question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default house party tmrw night! sub question

Hey guys, I just got booked for a house party tmrw night and have a small problem: my sub is 100 miles away. I have a home theater sub I can use, but I want to make sure I don't wreck it or anything. It's a 12" active sony wm5000 rated at 150 watts. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any insight as to how this is going to sound paired up with 2 speaker cabinets (each containing a 15, a 4.5, and tweeter) being pushed with a 600x2 amp?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could make the sub louder without just turning it up? Would some kind of oversized enclosure help with that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by allenpa5 View Post
    Hey guys, I just got booked for a house party tmrw night and have a small problem: my sub is 100 miles away. I have a home theater sub I can use, but I want to make sure I don't wreck it or anything. It's a 12" active sony wm5000 rated at 150 watts. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any insight as to how this is going to sound paired up with 2 speaker cabinets (each containing a 15, a 4.5, and tweeter) being pushed with a 600x2 amp?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could make the sub louder without just turning it up? Would some kind of oversized enclosure help with that?

Thanks!
    how big is the house party? if anything put one of your tops on the floor for bass. Unless this party will have more than 100 ppl you won't need more.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Wizard

Well, all I really know is that it'll be in the basement of the house, so there shouldn't be tooooooooooooooo many people. And I would've just used the 2 cabinets without a sub, but it sounds like there's some kind of HPF on them. For having 2 15"s in there with a 600x2 amp behind them, there doesn't seem to be too much low end at alllllll... Is that common on cabinets like that? To have a filter on em? I'd mention the brand and type, but there's nothing on them but black carpet.

Tech Wizard

That amp will blow the fuck out of your home theater sub. Just put your speakers on the floor or something.

Well, all I really know is that it'll be in the basement of the house, so there shouldn't be tooooooooooooooo many people. And I would've just used the 2 cabinets without a sub, but it sounds like there's some kind of HPF on them. For having 2 15"s in there with a 600x2 amp behind them, there doesn't seem to be too much low end at alllllll... Is that common on cabinets like that? To have a filter on em? I'd mention the brand and type, but there's nothing on them but black carpet.
    oh they're passive? hmm, what cabinets do you have? It's a hit or miss really, I've heard some passive speakers without ANY bass, and others with a nice amount. To be honest though for the amount of space and amount of ppl likely to come, it should be fine. Plus everyone will be drunk so they won't notice the missing bass that much ;P
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Wizard

oh nono, i'm not saying im going to power the sub thru my amp. the sub itself is already powered, just gotta plug her into the wall. Basically just trying to see if there's something else I can do to make it sound louder or boomier.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    oh they're passive? hmm, what cabinets do you have? It's a hit or miss really, I've heard some passive speakers without ANY bass, and others with a nice amount. To be honest though for the amount of space and amount of ppl likely to come, it should be fine. Plus everyone will be drunk so they won't notice the missing bass that much ;P
    well, thanks for your input here. Have you seen cabinets with a filter in them before though? Just wondering if that's the case or if it's just me. Thanks!

if there is an EQ on the back of your speaker it could be because of that.
    My Mixcloud Page!

oh nono, i'm not saying im going to power the sub thru my amp. the sub itself is already powered, just gotta plug her into the wall. Basically just trying to see if there's something else I can do to make it sound louder or boomier.
    Yeah…don't let it clip.

Really that's about it. It should have a LP Filter Cutoff adjustment as well as phase inversion…play with those until it sounds right. I mean…there are "rules" as well as "guidelines," like setting the filter about twice where the LF rolloff starts on your tops…but that control is rarely labeled on home audio subs, and most speakers don't come with useful frequency response charts that can be trusted.

Oh, and it's worth using it. Any subwoofer makes a difference at a house party.

IDK where the hell this misconception that small parties don't need subs came from. If you want to hear sub-bass (hint: for dance music, you do) then you need a sub. Period. Full-range speakers say they're full range, and the spec sheet might say 20-20,000 Hz frequency response, but in reality they roll everything off below 120ish as a consequence of how they're built. And while the details change, that's true from white van speakers to function 1 and stadium arrays to studio monitors…it's just kinda the way things work. Heck, the studio I work/study in has a fairly decent Genelec monitoring setup…based on some 8030a (think RP5…but a lot nicer) full-range tops, and they have a Genelec studio sub with a 15" cone…in a control room that's acoustically treated and can't fit 15 people in it comfortably.

Based on some random guidelines I read somewhere, the advice of people who do sound reinforcement for a living, and my own personal experience…for modern EDM, you want about twice as much power going to subs as you do tops…without hi-passing the full-range speakers. But that's really hard to do with home-audio gear. That sub is useful, and you will hear a difference, but it would likely take about 16 of them to sound "right."

Despite how hopeless that sounds…the first sixteenth of the way there does make an audible difference.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-17-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Any subwoofer makes a difference
    pretty much this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast