going mobile.

Thread: going mobile.

Default going mobile.

hi guys,

im being asked more and more to do private parties, birthdays weddings etc, however i dont have a mobile setup at all as i normally play clubs.
    all i have at home for practising is my integrated amp and martin audio aq6 speakers (one of which i can use as a monitor), and a mixer.

so in the neverending quest to earn a bit more £££ and do what i love on nights off ive decided to give it a go.

without spending too much i want to be able to cater for parties upto 200/250 people
    what speakers should i look at 2 x 15" , 4x12" any others?? what sort of wattage.

obviously an amp or two to power them.

i have just picked up 4 led par cans, and looking at a couple of cheap scanners and maybe a small strobe. i have a small laser and haze machine that a club owner gave me during a re-fit so do i go with dmx mixing unit or usb interface to a spare netbook i have lying around with light sequences pre-programmed in. they look about the same price??

also what sort of prices should i be charging??

anyone with experience in this would be a great help. please remember im on a tight budget.

cheers,

brian.

it all depends on how big the events are...I'd say for an event of up to 250 ppl, you'd need at least an 18" subwoofer and a pair of decent tops (12-15"). Most likely for 250 you'd need more than just those three things, you might need to add another subwoofer and another pair of tops, in which case a passive (amplifier) system would be recommended. If you're only going to use a sub and a pair of tops, I would recommend a powered system.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DJ-Disco-PA-Sp...ht_6150wt_1185

i was looking at these, with a decent sub you think they'd do the job??

honestly if you're going to invest in speakers for a mobile DJ business, don't skimp out on quality brands. Speakers will be your most important gear, and if treated well, will last you the longest as well. Aim for a brand like Mackie or Behringer if you're tight on cash.

If you're looking for good quality aim for JBL, RFC, or Yorkville.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

im in the same boat...

im leaning towards either the 15" thumps or behringer b215d's + a 16" sub (18" is too heavy/big.... i feel....)

and thats prob gonna run me anywhere from 900-1200 USD. (if my math is right)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

no. Stay away.

B52 Matrix 2000. As far as I can see, pretty much the only option to get a relatively inexpensive fully independent system that sounds half-way decent.

cool, ive just had a quick look at the behringer b215d, not that much more cash so still affordable, would just two of these suffice or would i need four? sorry to sound like a clown but im used to speakers etc already being there

ok so on the list so far are a pair of behringer powered speakers, 16/18" sub (amp to go with or powered??)

what are the thoughts on lighting? fader desk or digital? i have someone that can help program it but what way would you guys go?