First Gig... Couple Bumps...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Gig... Couple Bumps...

Hey All,

Last night was my first gig and thanks to the excellent help from this forum, the night went pretty well! Had lots of fun and some new connections for later gigs.

I do however have got some opportunities when it comes to ny set-up. Last night didn't go on without a hitch; I did experience some issues. Here they are:

1. The VCI-100 would intermittantly lose connectivity with the computer. I figured out all I had to do was unplug the USB and reconnect - but this did prove stressful if it happened near a transition. BTW - this happened on both USB ONLY AND USB WITH A POWER CHORD CONNECTED.

2. There was a complete sound loss about 4 hours into the set. Luckily everyone was drunk and having a good time and this was at a house party. I'm concerned 'cause I'm looking to get into clubs but not with that. I ran a latency check and every 5 seconds, latency spikes (with Traktor on). I've got no internal sound drivers, no Wifi, all firewall, auto update, system restore settings off. I'm running practically a bare bones set up... any ideas?

much appreciative of all the help so far! Thanks guy/gals!

Tech Mentor

i remember something that used to happen to me in my old apartment which i would have never thought of until someone suggested it on the ableton forum

the wiring in the building was really old and every time certain light switches were flicked on and off it would freak out my sound card and also make me lose the connection between midi controller and laptop

this probably isnt the answer to your problem but it jsut reminded me of it when i read that you were playing a house gig - ofcourse im sure it can happen in old buildings that are gig venues which have some half-assed job wiring done in the building
    Mac book pro 10.5.6 (2ghz - 2Gb), Traktor Pro, NI Audio kontrol, Novation 25SL, Korg Kaoss Pad, Evolution x-session, Ableton Live 7.0.12

Not sure about the disconnect issues.....i had them over the summer...but when i reloaded vista i dont have problems anymore
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

@buzby - No this makes a lot of sense. The house I played at was built like in the friggin' 50s or 60s. The wiring was bad. I had to crank the speakers loud to over come a buzz we realized came from the amp but was caused by the outlets. Huh... that's interesting...

Tech Mentor

ok

like i said, i would have never thought of it until someone on the abe forum asked how old the building was an the last time it had been re-wired and i found out that the wiring had nt been touched for over 20 years and the initial job was pretty dodgy ...

i guess i should have guessed cos also whenever the kitchen light was turned on and off i used to get a sharp glitch pop come through my monitors

so - only gigs in luxurious pent house suites is the pre-requisite that you should demand for future house party bookings
    Mac book pro 10.5.6 (2ghz - 2Gb), Traktor Pro, NI Audio kontrol, Novation 25SL, Korg Kaoss Pad, Evolution x-session, Ableton Live 7.0.12

Quote Originally Posted by buzby View Post
    so - only gigs in luxurious pent house suites is the pre-requisite that you should demand for future house party bookings
    gotcha

sounds like a USB grounding issue.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by buzby View Post
    i guess i should have guessed cos also whenever the kitchen light was turned on and off i used to get a sharp glitch pop come through my monitors
    This may sound stupid but shouldn't a surge protector fix this. Also if you have a buzz in your sound you need to raise the ground, get a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter for your computer / speakers.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

ya mine does this whenever the laptop power is plugged in. its happeneed on several system and its always been power related
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

yeah, this is a grounding issue in how the laptop is feeding power into the motherboard (and directly routing to the USB and sound channels)

same reason why some laptops have a hum whenever the fan turns on.
    there are lots of ways to correct the problem, but it can be variable to each laptop.

and foreverhex, a surge protector wont magically fix an internal board grounding issue. (especially if, like most laptops, the grounding issue is on the DC jack, not the ac adapter.)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast