Question Regarding Monitors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question Regarding Monitors.

Out of these monitors which would people recommend for my bedroom setup.
    I want something thats going to sound nice when the volumes cranked up

Mackie MR8 / MR5
    KRK RP8 G2 / RP6 G2
    KRK VXT 4 (is 4 too small? I couldn't afford larger VXTs)

is there much sound difference in these above? Iv got around £400 as a budget. Any ideas? cheers.

From my reading around the Mackies are the better of the speakers.

The MR8's could be overkill unless you plan to take them to house parties.

Just out of interest Bento, what made the Mackies a better buy according to your readings?
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    Just out of interest Bento, what made the Mackies a better buy according to your readings?
    Frequency range response mainly, also theres lots of reports of them sounding nicer - i have yet to had the opportunity to hear them side by side though so i can only go on research i have done.

Also lots of the the big dnb producers use the upmarket models of the MR8's (HR824mk2's) for making toons - these are the same guys who are setting new levels in production and mastering standards so you can be sure they are a killer speaker. Obviously the MR8's wont be as hot but for what your paying for you get a brilliant pair of speakers that borrow on the same technology from the HR824mk2's.

Tech Wizard

I got the KRK RP6 G2. They are awesome and i would buy them again, especially for the price. I couldn't even turn the volume all the way up because it was really loud. There is a long review for the RP5's: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06278688654606

On the other side i didn't hear the other monitors on your list..

The krk's are very close behind that much is for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    Out of these monitors which would people recommend for my bedroom setup.
    I want something thats going to sound nice when the volumes cranked up

Mackie MR8 / MR5
    KRK RP8 G2 / RP6 G2
    KRK VXT 4 (is 4 too small? I couldn't afford larger VXTs)

is there much sound difference in these above? Iv got around £400 as a budget. Any ideas? cheers.
    Hey Jo3, I'm also looking to get a decent pair of monitors for my home setup and have been looking at tonnes of reviews/opinions on the internet. I've finally settled on the KRK RP5's as i have a small room and i'm going to be monitoring at fairly low levels. ***thanks jinx for posting the review on these, it's the best one i've came across by far***

I think when it comes to the monitors you're looking at, it breaks down to your room size and also what's more important to you, volume or sound quality.
    If it's sound quality, I'd go with the VXT's as they're made with better components than the RP's to produce a sweeter sound. There's a good review on these here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...?doc_id=102144

If on the other hand, you want to be blasting the tunes out, it's really a toss up between the RP8s and MR8s. Personally I'd go with the MR8s.

While I was researching, I tried to find out what some of my favourite producers were using to monitor in their setups. Deadmau5 for example, uses the VXT 8's because "they produce a lovely sound". Check out his setup here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRt9QeItEg
    (i really want that Little Phatty.....I mean i REALLY want it )
    While Timbaland uses KRK RP8s in his home studio and Mackies in his tour bus studio.
    All in all it's down to personal preference. I don't think you could go wrong with either the Mackies or the KRKs. They're both highly reputable companies producing pro quality monitors.

Hope this helps you out. Let us know which ones you decide to go for
    Last edited by JonChase; 02-08-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Hey Bento,

I was trying to find somewhere where I could suggest Ean do an article on monitors for various different budgets. Y'know best monitors between $200-$300, $300 - $500, $500 - $700, that kinda thing. There are so many different monitors out there, it can be a mine field trying to find the right ones for you. I'm sure this could be useful for a lot of fellow DJ Techtoolers.

I know this ain't really the right place for article suggestions, but I couldn't see anywhere else to post it.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The thing with monitors is that a lot of it has to come down, strictly, to placement in the room, placement in relation to your ears, size of the room, style of music all added together.

For basic DJing you don't really need expensive monitors as they are more for producing beats and the what not.

Also, there is a sticky for Article suggestions up top.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    The thing with monitors is that a lot of it has to come down, strictly, to placement in the room, placement in relation to your ears, size of the room, style of music all added together.
    Totally. The difference between the two is somewhat negligible compared to placement factors.

I own mackie MR8s and I have heard them side by side with the HR models and seriously, there isnt heeeaps of difference. Again room makes way more. For thier price the MR8s are awesome. I also do not personally agree with the previous statement about not needing the MR8s unless your going to do parties.

For producing dance music especially bass heavy stuff like DnB or Dubstep (or electro/bassline/fidget/garage... pretty much anything) I don think the 5" drivers give enough low end frequency response and you will want a sub VERY soon. And then a sub is a bitch to setup cos u need to get the crossover & placement right (and it costs way more). Thus I vote for the MR8s which give response down to 38Hz before fadeoff. A sub would still be nice but it can definately wait.

Also if you take them to a party be careful. Set them up so people can damage them and probably put a hardware limiter between them and your soundcard. I just had to send my Mackies in to get the tweaters replaced as someone spilt wine on my soundcard causing a volume spike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast