First post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post

Default First post

Greetings everyone!

After spending the past few days browsing I decided to create an account and start posting. New to the DJ scene (still no equipment). I have researched quite a bit and decided to save up and get the S4. I am deff. commited to learning how to DJ. That freak at the club who looks like he's on 5 different drugs and enjoying the music wayyyyyy too much? Yeap, thats me (and sober nonetheless!)

It'll probably be around 3 months before I buy the S4. Until then, I'm planning on building my music library. Yes, I enjoy house music but I've never really paid attention to who the producers are and whatnot. Seems like the best idea right now is to stalk beatport's Top 100 for a while until I'm able to distinguish prog house from electro house and tech house from deep house etc.

Any other recommendations?

*Yes I will be using and abusing the search function

Welcome to DJTT, dude!

I hope you will enjoy this rich and diverse place as much as I do, and go forth and rape that search button.

Tech Guru

welcome to the forums, if you wanna get a headstart at djing I recommend downloading a demo version of traktor and using a simple keyboard mapping just to play with (I did this with virtual dj back in the day).

You should also check out the videos from Ean in the "home" section, you will find some great how to videos covering a lot of techniques you will find mentioned throughout the forum.

hope you enjoy your time here and dont feel afraid to ask anything people are always more then happy to help unless its "what controller should i get?" or "should i get a mac or pc" :P
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

The big thread of reccomended music,
    Stickied at the top of the forum, have a look mate

And welcome
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

It's very easy to get quality DJ sets with the occasional tracklisting off the net nowadays. I suggest you look at this for track IDs and producers to follow, then dig around that. Dig dig dig. Maybe start with tracklists from DJs you like. With time you'll leech stuff off them less and less and be more and more autonomous in your track selection.

Wow, quick responses!!

Sweet advice guys. Appreciate it. Will look into the keyboard mapping mentioned and ean's videos, the music stickie looks superawesomefantastic but that'll take a while to go through each of them.

Also, I have actually been following a couple of DJ's and some of them release a monthly list on beatport and boom! some tracks i'm really enjoying right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotmike327 View Post
    Also, I have actually been following a couple of DJ's and some of them release a monthly list on beatport and boom! some tracks i'm really enjoying right now.
    Right. That's a starting point : you're getting some tracks/producers/labels out of it.

Now, listen to the rest of these producers' output, see whether they have charts and/or DJ sets up themselves and spot some tracks there. See what labels they've also released on, and check out what has/will come out on those as well as the labels from the tracks you first spotted.

You may also apply this method to the "people also bought..." section.

And of cours, keep looking for stuff on your own, apart from all this. Just pick some labels at random and see what works and what doesn't.

After a bit of digging like this you may be following lots of producers and labels, and over time you may not always like what they're putting out. If that happens and/or you feel overwhelmed at the amount of tracks you're digging through, don't be afraid to unfollow the worst offenders.
    If they start doing something good again, chances are you'll cross paths again later

Tech Guru

just like bumtsch said keep keep keep digging this is how ive gone from trance to house to dubstep to electro and ended up stuck in between electro and dubstep , you will find where you land by digging and keeping an open mind to all genres
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Note it's better (and cheaper) to have a small collection of tracks you know really well rather than a large collection that you've listened to once or twice.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Note it's better (and cheaper) to have a small collection of tracks you know really well rather than a large collection that you've listened to once or twice.
    + 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast