first controller/setup
    Tech Wizard

Default first controller/setup

so its time to move past this crappy virtual dj demo and try my hand at this for real. i've played around in itch and traktor, and would lean (lean being the key word) towards traktor for the flexibility, effects, and price. the only thing stopping me is sound. not that traktor sounds bad; quite the contrary. it just sounds ever so slightly different, as if slightly transposed, from the original mp3 being played through itunes, winamp, itch, or virtual dj even.

anybody else find this or bothered by this, or am I just nitpicking?

Tech Guru

I found the soundquality in traktor exactly the same as everything else, depends on your soundcard and mp3 quality
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Traktor does not colour the sound; iTunes does

If Traktor seems to be playing at a higher pitch it's because you've got the bitrate set wrong on your soundcard
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The only thing in Traktor that will colour the sound is the different EQ modes.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paw_20 View Post
    so its time to move past this crappy virtual dj demo and try my hand at this for real. i've played around in itch and traktor, and would lean (lean being the key word) towards traktor for the flexibility, effects, and price. the only thing stopping me is sound. not that traktor sounds bad; quite the contrary. it just sounds ever so slightly different, as if slightly transposed, from the original mp3 being played through itunes, winamp, itch, or virtual dj even.

anybody else find this or bothered by this, or am I just nitpicking?
    Traktor is 100% bit transparent when there is no EQ, FX or other gubbins applied.
    What you hear is the raw MP3 which is they way it should be.

Eh. I honestly have found a difference in the output when /most/ (not all) people are using a DVS out. Esp. the effects, if you are familiar with them, I've been able to pick out someone using Traktor without even looking at the setup at times. But it's also something that I've found people don't spend as much time getting levels right out the bat, and control them more internally.

Maybe it's just me, but it definitely sounds /different/ at times. Not always, and some people make it so you can't see a difference. But if you consistently go out to a club with a high quality sound system and hear different DJ's and setups? You can def. start hearing a difference in HOW they play it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Traktors FX give it away in an instant... mainly cus a lot DJs use the same ones.
    Fact is that if you play an mp3 in traktor with no alteration at all, you just hear the file as it was recorded. Bit transparent.

I cant speak for Itch or VDJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Traktor is 100% bit transparent when there is no EQ, FX or other gubbins applied.
    What you hear is the raw MP3 which is they way it should be.
    Agreed. It's all about the format. The only way Traktor could make the sound different is with EQ's and FX.