Behringer DDM4000 questions....
    Tech Wizard

Default Behringer DDM4000 questions....

whos got on of these? I have been searching on DJTT to find out more and it makes it sounds like you can use it to hook up to traktor and what not. do i still need a DVS setup to make it work?

Im looking at one right now, but wanted to see what you guys knew about it. If anybody has an better ideas on mixers in that price range, let me know. thanks.

Tech Guru

I'm gonna assume you don't know much about digital dj'ing in general.. no offense.
    its the best mixer in its price range, I use to have one until I got an awesome deal on my Ecler mixer.

You need a soundcard to use any external mixer
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

You'll need a sound card with 1 stereo output (2 mono ouputs) per channel of audio you wish to run through a mixer. If you're using 2 channels the audio 2 will work nicely as it has 2 stereo pairs. If you want 4 channel you'll need either a soundcard with 4 stereo pairs such as the audio 8 or 10 OR several sound cards that each add up to 4 stereo pairs, eg. 2 x audio 2 (as they have 2 each). To use multiple sound cards in windows you will need to download the ASIO generic drivers and select both sound cards in the ASIO settings window. With macs the functionality is build in, though I do not know exactly how to do it.

A DVS such as traktor scratch is only required if you want to use timecode vinyl or timecode CDs. An external mixer will work fine with regular traktor + any sound card.

I've never used the mixer in question but it seems to be popular. Personally I don't really like the layout, it's very busy.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

as popinjay said its far to busy

if you do a search on the forums you will see peoples reviews of it
    its a mixed bag.

I just did a google image search to refresh my memory of the mixer and oh my- who the hell decided that was the ideal place to put the headphone jack?

I hope someone got the dunce hat for that :P
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Yeah, the headphone jack position is mighty stupid. Except for that, it's a really nice mixer, especially for the money, and I really like it.
    As far as the busy layout is concerned, I personally think it does seem more busy on pictures and videos than in real life. For a total newb though, it might be a bit too much, especially because there's a lot of options and settings on the digital/configuration side. Something more simple and upfront might be a better choice. Something like the vestax VMC004 series, for example. never used one myself, but I heard a few good things about it.

I used to use the DDM4000 until I switched to the S4. I loved it and never found it to be too busy. It def. has a lot of features which might be overkill to a complete beginner, but I'd look at it as it could be a good mixer to grow into. Just focus on learning the fundamentals first before you get carried away with messing around with the effects/sampler/etc.

I'd say for the money it's great!
    Macbook Pro 15" (2.3 GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD), S4, Maschine, Beat Masher, Cue Master

It's not that it's so busy that is the problem; it's that the way features are implemented and laid out is counter intuitive. The headphone jack is the most obvious annoyance. Even an L-plug doesn't help much. Though to be fair, a lot of 4channel mixers are also putting the plug on top of the mixer rather than the front. Though the behringer is in a particularly dumb place. Theres no way to save your preferences for effects and crossfader and similar choices, so count on about thirty button clicks every time you turn it on just to get it where you want it. The way effects are implemented is kind of dumb, it's not so easy to see what you're about to effect and it's not so easy to see what's going on with the sampler (which is tricky to use anyway). The bright purple lights above the EQs are blinding, mine are covered up with black tape.

Other than all that, it's great for the price. Some of the effects sound ok (most don't), though I'd suggest ignoring them anyway. Sound quality is quite decent for a behringer. And the faders are not bad at all, and if you're a scratch monkey, you can install an innofader pretty handily.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Essentially best mixer for Traktor IMO for the price that is. I myself use it as an external mixer plus I turn off the crossfader Sampler and some of the EQ channels to use as extra MIDI commands.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Guru

I will surelly buy one to use at home as external mixer