any jack users here?
    Tech Wizard

Default any jack users here?

So in reading the tutorial about routing tracktor into ableton, i have gotten stuck at a step concerning the "routing button" i am a new user to ableton and cant seem to locate this... i sure it is an easy find bout it seems like i need a little help.

Also how important is the midi clock.. i have had this explained to me several times and i still cant grasp what it is, any help would be appreciated!!!

thanks so much!

P

I am not a mac user so i cannot help you with the first thing.

The tempo sync super helpful. Very basically it keeps Traktor in time with Ableton.

Say, you have a track beat gridded properly and you hit the sync button.
    This aligns the track so that its beat matched to the midi clock.
    You can imagine the midi clock as a tick that goes off in time with the beat, the tick tells Ableton how fast the tempo is, while also keeping it on time very similar to the tap tempo function on many hardware effects units.
    Now when you start an audio clip in Ableton it will play in time with the music you are playing in Traktor so you do not have to beatmatch the two programs together manually.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 05-24-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Tech Mentor

sending clock information is going to be EXTREMELY important. you will not have the time to beatmatch manually when you doing stuff in ableton.

but does it really work? I have yet to try it.

Tech Wizard

any other jack users?? i have tried again and came up a little short, but hopefully someone can chime in and give a little insight!

thanks, and i love how ean even gets in on the mix in the forums!!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fro1156 View Post
    any other jack users?? i have tried again and came up a little short, but hopefully someone can chime in and give a little insight!
    Jack works really well, its just a little tricky getting the routing done exactly right. I had to spend a couple hours with the routing window to get it exactly configured to my requirements, and then saved it. Now I don't have to play with Jack [no pun intended].

The manual is actually pretty helpful. In a few short words, I'll try to explain the routing window, which has three panes: the send ports pane, the receive ports pane, and the connections. The easiest way to think about is like this: Jack takes the audio sent from the application selected in the send ports pane (i.e., highlighted by the mouse, such as the system (soundcard), Traktor, Ableton, etc.) and sends it to application(s) in the receive ports pane that are highlighted in red.

sgb

Using Jack osx with a Mac here. Did a rewire as well to run Traktor into Ableton, and everything is controlled thru my 2 Faderfox midi's. A few questions. Are you using an external mixer or the internal one provided in T3?. What soundcard are you running? Nico has a great post for Mac users who want to rewire, but it's for external mixers only. If that's you then great. If your internal and/or midi's, I can walk you thru.
    Cheers