Tagalicious and Traktor
    Tech Guru

Default Tagalicious and Traktor

Hey everybody, I have a nicely organized collection in Traktor. However a lot of my tunes are from record pools which come with pretty incomplete information and I was hoping to use Tagalicious to clean things up a bit in iTunes. My concern is, will this screw up my Traktor collection after i've ran tracks through tagalicious?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If it changes the name or location it could. The best bet is to run a small batch through a few times before doing anything in bulk.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

How well does tagalicious work with EDM? It's not like I have a really obscure collection, I'm just curious. How much is it?

What I've done is to have two separate collections. I don't want a lot of single house/techno/whatever tracks mess up my nicely organized library of full albums So I have one folder which foobar2000 (my music player) monitors, and a second which Traktor monitors. Native Instruments have made the very odd decision of messing up all your tags when you import them input traktor. E.g. if a track has the DATE field set to 2011, Traktor would (without asking you first) edit it to 2011-01-01 - stupid! Same goes for ratings which is even more messed up.

I've used MP3tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en to manually edit all my tracks. I usually put a front.jpg fil in each folder for the cover. Sort your tracks in MP3tag through genre, album or whatever, and then start with all the tracks without missing info. It takes quite some time, but it's the best way to edit your music without messing things up through some automation process. It does have some cool tricks though, like converting filenames to tags etc.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

AFAIK traktor has it's own tag field for ratings so it just reads the iTunes tag on the initial import then doesn't touch or update it after that. Are you seeing a different result?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    AFAIK traktor has it's own tag field for ratings so it just reads the iTunes tag on the initial import then doesn't touch or update it after that. Are you seeing a different result?
    No you're right. It messes up consistency. If I rate something in Traktor, it doesn't read in foobar2000 and vice versa.