4x4x4
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x4x4

Default 4x4x4

Why is all music in sets of 4? (4 beats,4 bars) i was having this discussion last night, and while i came to my own conclusion, im interested to hear others thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

I think its because of the classical music formulas and because it feels natural to dance at that rate. But then again it may only be that way because of what we've been taught.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Not all music is in sets of four. True, the majority is but there are also some great tunes that aren't.
    Look around

Quote Originally Posted by misha_val View Post
    Not all music is in sets of four. True, the majority is but there are also some great tunes that aren't.
    Look around
    well yea i came to this conclusion also. like the waltz for example, where we have a 3x3 beat deal. its a whole lot more complicated for the mind tho, and requires speacial dance lessons, which i put down to it feeling unnatural. but as foreverhex said im not 100% sure if we have been conditioned this way or if there is some base humanness that requires a 4x4 beat.

and noone say chicken or egg because thats just lazy, i wanna know what the chicken and egg represent in this situation

I simply believe its math, check this out on wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

thats all very well, but i could say "its just maths" as an explanation for why i have hands. perhaps i need to make the master-question more specific. i need to think for a min or two

Tech Guru

I believe a core principal to 'a lot of' dance music is about creating a state of trance, much like tribal music of older cultures (very similar concept tbh, rhythmic drumming + drugs).

Because 4x4 rythems The maths is simpler, or at least more constant & most importantly, its always divisible by 2 which means its got a constant hit that you can always sync to. Since dance music is made for inducing this state of trance, a 3x3 timing which creates odd time beats (3,9,15,21 etc) would can easily put you out of sync breaking this sense of trance.

'Most' dance music atm effectively has a constant 1,2,1,2 pattern, be it with the kicks (house/electro) or more with the snares (Dubstep/DnB/Breaks/Garage) for this reason.

I don't think you need to link this back to a base human condition as the basic premise the the maths is simpler and more sync able for creating a trance explains why its essentially required for dance music,.. though you could.... human heartbeat being the most obvious one.

Creating some 3x3 rave music would be interesting.... would really fuck with peoples heads.. hmmmmm
    Last edited by midian; 02-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.

plenty of 3x3 and 3x4 dance music out there, or just "shuffled beat" music

Schaffel beat is pretty common. Goldfrapp, Skinny Puppy, T. Raumscmiere, Superpitcher, Electronicat, and songs like

iggy pop - nightclubbing
    depeche mode - personal jesus
    covenant - like tears in rain
    and one - wasted
    --------------

However, i think it's the rock n' roll influence that flooded in disco and became incorporated in the early days of house/techno music that came to the naturally accepted 4/4 rhythms in dance music.

I think it's less of a "it has to be that way" and more of a "it's generally accepted to produce in those rhythms"

3/4, 3/3 and Schaffel are perfectly fun and dance-able! (you guys can't tell me you havn't seen dancefloors packed to 'personal jesus!')
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    I believe a core principal to dance music is about creating a state of trance, much like tribal music of older cultures (very similar concept tbh, rhythmic drumming + drugs).

Because 4x4 rythems The maths is simpler, or at least more constant & most importantly, its always divisible by 2 which means its got a constant hit that you can always sync to. Since dance music is made for inducing this state of trance, a 3x3 timing which creates odd time beats (3,9,15,21 etc) would can easily put you out of sync breaking this sense of trance.

All dance music atm effectively has a constant 1,2,1,2 pattern, be it with the kicks (house/electro) or more with the snares (Dubstep/DnB/Breaks/Garage) for this reason.

I don't think you need to link this back to a base human condition as the basic premise the the maths is simpler and more sync able for creating a trance explains why its essentially required for dance music,.. though you could.... human heartbeat being the most obvious one.

Creating some 3x3 dance music would be interesting.... would really fuck with peoples heads.. hmmmmm

i think my conclusion basically came down to symmetry. 1-2 2-4 4-8 8-16 16-32
    doubles doubles doubles. and yea the base symmetry is in fact 2 not 4. and the symmetry of 3s isnt as simple(symmetrical) as 2 as in there are less possibilities.

i came about my conclusion the wrong way tho perhaps. i decided that it must be because we have 2 feet, 2 possibilities of ratation etc... but thats just human symmetry right there.

dont know how well i explained that but... rip it to bits

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    plenty of 3x3 and 3x4 dance music out there, or just "shuffled beat" music

Schaffel beat is pretty common. Goldfrapp, Skinny Puppy, T. Raumscmiere, Superpitcher, Electronicat, and songs like

iggy pop - nightclubbing
    depeche mode - personal jesus
    covenant - like tears in rain
    and one - wasted
    --------------

However, i think it's the rock n' roll influence that flooded in disco and became incorporated in the early days of house/techno music that came to the naturally accepted 4/4 rhythms in dance music.

I think it's less of a "it has to be that way" and more of a "it's generally accepted to produce in those rhythms"

3/4, 3/3 and Schaffel are perfectly fun and dance-able! (you guys can't tell me you havn't seen dancefloors packed to 'personal jesus!')

well if youre saying its not "it has to be that way" then i guess (i assume) youre saying its not due to nature. i think the symmetrys in 2x2(4x4) are more accessable than 3x3.

could i perhaps argue the less symmetry in music the less dancable it becomes?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast