Some serious controllerism hate - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    You're misunderstanding the point he was making. By working heard with really trivial bits of the mixing process you develop a greater understanding of your music than if you just glazed over the basics and started focusing on super clever effects usage straight away.

edit: this was aimed at guiltyblade.
    Exactly!! You don't see someone that started learning guitar try get gigs after a week, They practise chords first and slowly move on.The advancement in djing has made it possible for people to skip this step and you cant blame people for not accepting that as ok
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Umm…so…i didn't read any of your replies.

The OP completely missed the point of the guy's flame.

He wasn't hating on controllers, per se. He was hating on what many people do when they don't have to spend time beat matching. Mostly, that turns out to be ruining a track with effects.

And I 100% agree with him (please look at my sig to see if I hate controllers).

It takes balls to stand there and groove out to a good track as opposed to constantly doing something. Learn that first…then maybe sorta kinda think about using effects to spice something up.
    reading this I see what hes trying to say now. I still think the F1 comparison was beyond stupid though

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrakd View Post
    Exactly!! You don't see someone that started learning guitar try get gigs after a week, They practise chords first and slowly move on.The advancement in djing has made it possible for people to skip this step and you cant blame people for not accepting that as ok
    I think some of this 'skipping a step' is the issue. I do get concerned when I see A.N Other-Newbie come on here say 'I've just spent a fucking fortune on an MBP & and S4 a week ago and I've now got a gig'. They'll probably go and play a pre arranged setlist, with no variation, drenched in fx, rather than responding to a crowd ... for all intents and purposes being no better than a jukebox ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

learning to beatmatch does make you really learn how to listen to music which is way more important than whether you actually beatmatch these days or use sync.

after watching a few controllerism-routines tho i do think that effects and mashing can often be waaaaay over used. fine is the point of the routine is to show off the techniques rather than make a good mix ofc...

as someone else said - same goes for scratching.... it's beyond me why some dj's seem to use that technique almost the whole way through a mix. as everything else it takes skill to know where and when and how much to use it.

controllers and software have opened up so many possibilities to me though that i'm not willing to ever go back to just using turntables.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    I do get concerned when I see A.N Other-Newbie come on here say 'I've just spent a fucking fortune on an MBP & and S4 a week ago and I've now got a gig'
    '...Can someone tell me the name of some tracks to play please?'

Innit. These people are not djs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    '...Can someone tell me the name of some tracks to play please?'

Innit. These people are not djs.

They do not deserve the title yet!

I only really started refering to myself as a DJ, once I got residency etc....

Before that...I was attempting to be a part time DJ.....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456