Questions about the Denon Dn-s3700 with Serato and Traktor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Questions about the Denon Dn-s3700 with Serato and Traktor.

So i just bought myself some denon dn-s3700's, but i havent bought a mixer yet. I want to use the denons with traktor scratch pro, mainly because i all ready own it. But if there is no easy way to get everything to work without timecode then ill look into scatch live.
    Here is a video that shows two dn-s3700's working in traktor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxVndiKxLQ

Now the question is, do i need to buy the Dn-x1600 to use my s3700's in traktor without timecode.
    -How well do they work in traktor?
    -What are the benefits of using hybrid midi mode instead of timecode?
    -How hard is it to get midi mode working on either traktor or serato scratch live?

-Thanks for all the help!

Tech Mentor

no you don't have to buy the mixer to use them without timecode. I don't think the dn-s3700's are traktor certified but they do have mappings for traktor and their is a hybrid midi mode setting that works for traktor as well.

1.they have hybrid midi mode. its pretty cool its like you have timecode in, but you can map all the controls and buttons on the decks like if you where in midi mode.

2. you platter works the same, but now you could take advantage of all of the buttons on the decks

3.there should be mappings available for traktor so it's pretty easy, just have to set your player to use the right hybrid midi mode setting for either traktor or serato

Quote Originally Posted by Invoke View Post
    no you don't have to buy the mixer to use them without timecode. I don't think the dn-s3700's are traktor certified but they do have mappings for traktor and their is a hybrid midi mode setting that works for traktor as well.

1.they have hybrid midi mode. its pretty cool its like you have timecode in, but you can map all the controls and buttons on the decks like if you where in midi mode.

2. you platter works the same, but now you could take advantage of all of the buttons on the decks
    So if i dont half to buy the mixer, then what advantages do i get when buying the Dn-X1600 because it is traktor certified? your right the denon dn-s3700's are not traktor certified.
    Is there a difference between midi mode and hybrid mode?

-You said my platter works the same, but i can take advantage of the buttons. So basically running the denon dn-s3700's in midi mode will basically turn them into a midi controller and i can use the effects in traktor ext, and the platter spins as well?
    Thanks agian! you've helped allot!

Tech Mentor

yeah the platter usually works alot better with timecode than it does in midi. which is why hybrid mode is so cool.

The only thing hybrid midi mode really does it mean you can use timecode without actually using a CD with the timecode track on it since it is saved internally.

You don't need to buy a traktor certified mixer to use those CD players with traktor. In order to use traktor timecode you need to use either a traktor certified mixer OR one of the traktor soundcards with inputs (audio 4, 6, 8 or 10).

The advantage of a certified mixer is basically you don't have to worry about plugging in your soundcard. It's alright but honestly you need to get the full traktor package with the soundcard since if you buy traktor scratch without it you are unable to play anywhere as you don't have a soundcard. Unless you want to carry your mixer about with you everywhere, haha.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

OK, so i understand the mixers and traktor sound cards but i still dont understand the difference between midi mode, hybrid mode or hybrid midi mode. Are they all the same thing. If hybrid mode is really the same thing as using timecode, just not using a timecode CD, then do i still need an external sound card when using hybrid/midi mode or can i just plug the denon dn-s3700's into my laptop without a sound card?

-

No, you still need a certified mixer or a soundcard, like I said.

Tech Guru

Does traktor have native support for the 3700's and spinning platters?

I have CDJ 400's and tried them in HID mode both with SSL and Traktor. You don't need any timecode or CD, they just work like big midi controllers. The CDJ's work much better in SSL than in Traktor. If the support is the same, and Serato has native support for the 3700's you just plug in and play. If it is the same with Traktor and the 3700's, then you do not need time code support. Unless I'm guessing Hybrid mode is the platters work with timecode and everything else is a midi controller?

What is the advantage you asked. Well you get the tactile feel of using "real" gear so to speak and the CDJ's then control traktor functions. With Timecode the CDJ's would only control it's own CD functions.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

No it doesn't, hence the timecode hybrid mode.

So hybrid midi mode allows spinning platter movement as if using timecode, but there is no timecode in the CD slot. The rest of the CD player (s3700's) acts as a mappable midi controller? And this works with traktor and SSL even though it is not natively supported by either? Is that is what is happening in this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEmqKSsAkVU

so all the transport controls ext, work with serato and he still has moving platters but not using timecode CD's. This is great, but i dont really understand how it works if the s3700's are not natively supported by Serato.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast