Where to start

Thread: Where to start

In the middle of no where. have a look http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Default Where to start

Hey guys

So i got my first controller and this is my first time doing anything to any dj equipment. I am really new to the dj world and have only been DJ'ing from March till now i got my equipment yesterday. I have the Numark Omni.
    So where is a good place to start and work up 2. Sorry if this is very improper. I can't seem to find a good tutorial on tricks with the Numark Omni

Thanks guys

Perhaps start with getting a new DJ name..! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3piv9EFZU8

Then get the basics of mixing down, beat matching, EQing etc.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

start by messing about.... theres no tricks to certain controllers, bar fadder fx but thats all down to mapping and there is one out there for omni control... just practise practise pracitse... and having a dj name after a few months is strange then again ive seen people with a dj name after there first post "I HAVE NO STUFF OR SONGS HOW DO I START" **posted by dj bestdj**
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Use sync...

I reckon the simplest way into mixing is starting with regular house music or any genre that is in the 128bpm range. wether you use sync or not, after getting 2 songs on the same bpm and same count (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 if you know what I mean) you can start to experiment with the equalizer.

First fade in the lows of the 2nd track (or highs) etc etc...

After that you can try to find the perfect moment to bring in the second song, in the build up (where there is only synths going) or at the climax.

After that you can try different mixing styles.

Never forget the main goal of djing, though: If you are playing at a party, the crowd is interested in the songs, not the mixing perse.

tbh - fuck tricks, learn how to mix

Selection is *everything*. If you play crap music, everything else is wasted.

Once you've got the selection, then work of phrase matching, and then key matching.

Oh, and once you do get onto 'tricks' remember less is more ... just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

In the middle of no where. have a look http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Ok mate thanks for everything
    Ganna go youtube tut's on mixing down, beat matching, EQing phrase matching, and key matching.
    Got my selection on music already
    afterwards ill learn cue'ing ?
    i guees samples and Effects comes next ?