Optimizing Vista for Djing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Optimizing Vista for Djing

one of our members asked this question:

"I would like to see a good, in-depth tutorial on how to optimize Windows Vista. Like: a break down of the services u can disable and the ones u must have; audio driver setups; software setups; setting up the right user account for performance. Basically, any RAM saving techniques to avoid glitches or crashes in your set. "

any suggestions from our windows users? (about 40% currently)

For problem free Vista use:

1) Format Hard drive

2) Install Windows XP
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post

1) Format Hard drive

2) Install Windows XP
    hehe good one

Tech Mentor

im running vista.. i had a few issues but here are some things that i have done and i have noticed better performance. for more information, there is information on NIs website about optimizing, i havnt had a chance to work on it yet though.

first thing is to create a seperate user for tractor. this user account should have NOTHING in the startup folder. the only thing i have that starts automatically is my antivirus/firewall. from there, take off the screensaver, the background, everything off your desktop and the sidebar. set your theme to the classic setting. when you are going to use it, always log off (not switch user) or restart. set your power management to full power (performance). basically, the idea is to take EVERYTHING that isnt necessary and disable it. i noticed significant performance jumps when i did this. i will post more when i go through that information on NI.

Tech Wizard

---------- INSTRUCTIONS - Warning -----------

Disabling services could cause your system to stop responding. Anytime you are tweaking settings in the operating system, you should be very careful and fully aware of what you are doing. Before disabling/enabling services, I would heavily suggest creating a system restore point just in case something goes wrong. I have personally disabled most of the services in this guide, and disabling all of these services have been tested by professionals within the field. Please be careful and pay close attention to everything you are doing, documenting your steps is extremely helpful as well! With all that said, here we go...

---------- INSTRUCTIONS - How To Disable Services -----------

1. Hold in your Windows key and press the "R" key simultaneously.

2. The run dialog box will appear, type "MSCONFIG" in the text field and press "Ok".

3. Click on the services tab.

4. Un-check any services that you may find unnecessary.

5. After you are finished un-checking services, please press the "Apply" button and continue to restart your computer!

---------- INSTRUCTIONS - What Services To Disable -----------

1. Diagnostic Policy Service

Description:
    Notifies you if it suspects that your program was incorrectly installed.

Effects of Disabling:
    You will no longer be prompted to validate your installation or re-install your program.

Why disable?

Most of the time your installation will work. As well, you can personally re-install the program if needed to. Personally, this window comes up at times other than installation, such as when I force-close my WinRar. If you are conscious of what you do on the PC, you don’t need this.

2. Distributed Link Tracking Client

Description:
    Maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a network.

Effects of Disabling:
    Unable to access files of another computer.

Why disable?
    Disable this if you have only one computer on a network, or if you do not access other computers’ file systems.

3. IP Helper

Description:
    Allows support for IPv6

Effects of Disabling:
    No support for IPv6.

Why disable?
    IPv6 is not widely used yet. Chances are you don’t need it. You can check by clicking here.

4. Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader Service

Description:
    Used by MSN Messenger Live. Allows you to use Sharing Folders.

Effects of Disabling:
    Unable to use sharing folders.

Why disable?
    Disable if you’re not using MSN Messenger Live (8.0 or higher) or if you don’t use sharing folders

5. Network List Service

Description:
    Identifies networks you are connected to and maintains a list of properties for them. The service will notify applications when these properties change.

Effects of Disabling:

The network icon in your system tray will disappear. You will no longer be notified when your connection with the internet is lost or present.

Why disable?
    For most who don’t encounter Internet problems regularly, you really don’t need a service to tell you if your Internet is working.
    As well, if you are not connected to a network, disable this.

6. Offline Files

Description:
    Disable if you don’t use offline files

Effects of Disabling:
    N/A

Why disable?
    Disable this if you do not want to be able to view online files while you are offline. Viewing usually comes from a system cache page.

7. Print Spooler

Description:

Loads files to memory for later printing. Basically helps queue your files when you are printing multiple documents so you don’t have to wait for one document to finish to print the next one.

Effects of Disabling:
    You’ll have a harsh printing experience. Don’t disable this if you own a printer, unless you hardly use a printer, or have a habit of only printing one document at a time.

Why disable?
    If you don’t have a printer, there’s no need for this service.

8. Readyboost

Description:
    Allows you to use Vista’s Readyboost feature. Readyboost allows you to use the free space on your removable memory disks such as your USB Drive to speed up your computer.

Effects of Disabling:

Inability to use ReadyBoost.

Why disable?
    Many don’t have a USB fast enough to work with Vista’s Readyboost. If you don’t use this feature, disable the service.

9. Remote Access Connection

Description:

Maintains dial-up and VPN connections

Effects of Disabling:
    Disabling could cause some aircards to stop responding.

Why disable?
    Disable if you don’t use dial-up or VPN (Virtual Private Network)

10. Server

Description:
    Allows you to share files and your printer through a LAN

Effects of Disabling:
    Unable to share files or printer with other computers through LAN

Why disable?
    Disable if you don’t plan on sharing your file or printer through a Local Area Network.

11. Tablet PC Input Service

Description:
    Enables Tablet PC pen and ink functionality

Effects of Disabling:
    You can’t use your tablet PC.

Why disable?
    Because you don’t have one!

12. Windows Error Reporting Service

Description:
    Allows you to send a report to Microsoft each time your PC receives an error

Effects of Disabling:
    You’ll no longer be prompted to send an error report to Microsoft.

Why disable?
    Sometimes, it gets really annoying.

13. Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Description:
    Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras

Effects of Disabling:
    If your camera does not have an image browser, you will not be able to acquire pictures from it without a proper driver. WIA allows immediate image acquisition. (Still needs to be tested.)

Why disable?
    Disable if you don’t use a scanner or camera with your PC

14. Windows Time

Description:
    Synchronizes time between all users

Effects of Disabling:

Services that depend on this service will fail

Why disable?
    Unless you are very hardcore on time accuracy, you won’t need this service.

---------- INSTRUCTIONS - Comments -----------

There are more services that can be disabled but the services mentioned above are the services that don't effect core functionality of your operating system. If you have any questions, I should be able to figure something out for you! To learn more about custom services, google the service name you would like to find out about and you should find multiple pages with detailed explanations on what the service does, how it effects your system, and known compatibility issues.

Great post! However i still do not suggest using Vista, for those that still choose to use Vista this will be very helpful.

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys! I can't offer much when it comes to DJ'ing as I am obviously brand new here, but I will try to fill in what I can. Good thing this is a digital forum and not about needles and tone arms :eek:

Cool, that is exactly what i was looking for. I'll try it, and see how it works out for me. Right now I am mostly problem free, except for a rare "skip;" but, one skip in a set is too many. So, i think some minor adjustments like the aforementioned should do the trick.

And, Bento and company you're probably right about just rolling back to XP, but Im trying to be legit now. So, a clean copy of XP problem isn't on the horizon

Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post

1) Format Hard drive

2) Install Windows XP
    I completely agree with this!
    I played a show the past weekend with my VCI-100 and a Trigger Finger and had the biggest world of trouble.

Vista "You are about to play a new song! ALLOW? OR DENY?"

DIE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast