New Macbook Pro SSD installed + replace CD disk - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I've brought back a few bits and bobs to apple in the past and their motto seems to be we'll replace it so long as the part in question is not something you tampered with.

Example1. Macbook Gen1 cracking case.

I'd already replaced the Screen myself with one I bought from Ebay (and made them aware of it) they still replaced the case regardless.

Example2. Ibook trackpad / keyboard issue, I'd replaced the CD drive with a superdrive myself 6months earlier.

Example3. CD Drive Dodgy in Mums Imac under applecare, they replaced it even though I'd been in there before and replaced the HDD.

Optibay is a less complex but more visible and might be frowned on moreso as a result, but they seem to be pretty cool with tinkering.

Tech Mentor

of course they do that. deniability its one of apple's biggest weapons. Until theres an update from mr jobs nothing is confirmed or accepted. i've been trying to get them to replace the logic board in my MBP. it's destroyed 2 hard drives due to a faulty sata controller. But as it seems none of there tests can flag anything up so it doesn't exist. i've told them that if it happens a third time i'm going to file for charges against them as it's gone on for about 5 months. But the law is the law and theres nothing they can do. And once you start talking law they will give or act professional
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I'd hold out for Lion anyway before purchasing.

I checked out the tut again on the blog

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/03/2...d-double-swap/

and they swapped out the CD drive for the SSD. Maybe that's the thing to do. Order the Mac with the 750GB HHD and swap out the optical with a SSD...

This op going to bugger up warranty / apple care though?

Basically i'd like my music on an internal HDD but the OSX and apps on the SSD.

They got that Thunderbolt going on which I'd use for video storage / editing...
    Hey MaxOne!

I would recommend you buy the mac with the cheapest HD and go for an HD with 7200 rpm together with your SSD...

Seagate has a good option of 500gb HDD with 7200 RPM and it's a big difference from the standard 5400 RPM that Macs sells on the store.

You can take the HDD that cames with the mb pro and put on a case for an external hdd...

Tech Mentor

i've found a few tips and such about speeding up ssd's. http://torcellite.blogspot.com/2011/...-mac-ssds.html

as for the question about loosing applecare. I'd think about it like this. If i planned on tinkering and "modding" my mac i might not bother with £300's worth of applecare. If i could (which i did) get HE discount i'd probably buy care as it's only £50. But when you compare apples replacement costs vs applecare you'll find that nothing is really over £300. not even a whole logic board. By purchasing applecare at full retail your effectively paying for 1 large component replacement.
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

Thanks for that the only thing is the logic board is normally the thing to go and they're more like £700 and that's borderline worth a new mac...

But I might sack off the apple care and just get the regular MacBook pro and put the ssd in the optical drive
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Thanks for that the only thing is the logic board is normally the thing to go and they're more like £700 and that's borderline worth a new mac...

But I might sack off the apple care and just get the regular MacBook pro and put the ssd in the optical drive
    I love it go for it :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12