New Macbook Pro SSD installed + replace CD disk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Macbook Pro SSD installed + replace CD disk

Ok,

So I'm mulling over getting a new MBP. I'm thinking the SSD pisses all over the regular HD.

But the price is astronomical for anything more than 128G SSD.

However, i'd happily swap out the CD drive for another regular HD.

I'd be bricking my pants though mucking about with a brand new £2,000 investment.

But clearly the SSD makes a massive difference.

How straight forward is this?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

piss easy, just follow the youtube videos, don't pull too hard on anything and don't lose any screws.

I got my caddy from http://www.newmodeus.com/ for $49 and bought an external USB CD drive off amazon for about £20, so saved a few quid and got a better CD drive than i would have with the MCE optibay option.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Pick wisely when considering an SSD. OSX has no trim support so standard trim features, so you'll see the slow down in SSD performance due to just use. No file order management adds up to a fragmented drive. However some drive manufactures have seemed to crack these problems with get arounds etc in recent models. This management is worth more than an advertised r/w speed. i'd possibly get 2 ssd''s an raid 0 them to again increase performance. You'd actually get about 60gb extra than lets say a 256GB SSD with 2x 160GB SSD's. For any additional storage just use either usb, sd or wifi.

As for opening her up. don't worry mac's are pretty much the easiest laptops to take apart. you'll just need a small cross head and a T9 screwdriver and to remember to pull from the back forward to take the bottom panal.
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

Lion's out next month and that's going to enable TRIM on all SSDs, so no worries there.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

it is really eays.. a lot of tutorials on the web..

how long does it take for a ssd to begin slowing down? is there a way (program) to measure this?
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

im not sure if installing optibay would void your warranty or not

i have heard stories of people saying they lost their applecare and stuff haha

im still deciding whether to spend the money on applecare when my mbp's warranty is nearing its expiry date or just invest in SSD+optibay (I already have WD 750GB onboard)

im just really worried that my logic board gets faulty one day and having to pay $$$$$$$$$$$ to get it fixed without applecare
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Pretty sure it does void applecare, but then again you can always swap it back out if you need to.

I'd hold out for Lion anyway before purchasing.

I checked out the tut again on the blog

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/03/2...d-double-swap/

and they swapped out the CD drive for the SSD. Maybe that's the thing to do. Order the Mac with the 750GB HHD and swap out the optical with a SSD...

This op going to bugger up warranty / apple care though?

Basically i'd like my music on an internal HDD but the OSX and apps on the SSD.

They got that Thunderbolt going on which I'd use for video storage / editing...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Ideally you don't want to boot off a drive that's in the DVD bay. Apparently that can cause problems.

And yeh, I think the DVD drive isn't designated as replaceable so it can void it. That's what I was told when I asked on here a couple of months back (here's one of the threads I was discussing it on http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20124 there were others but not started by me so hard to find lol).

Tech Mentor

The law is grey i believe. The Magnuson Moss act protects a consumer from warranty being void if the component that was replaced was a standard replaceable component and that you've caused no proven damage to the electrical item.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act"]Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

However there was a line about it possibly void and servicing. But I'd bet my last buck a dvd drive is classed as a standard replaceable item. just by the nature of the way they work they ware out. You could always open it back up and swap the dvd back in anyways if you wasn't confident
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast