DJ gear purchase deadline today: S4 vs Rane
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ gear purchase deadline today: S4 vs Rane

Hello DJ TechTools,

This is my first time posting. I have come to a really weird situation. At the moment all I have is an old set-up of two technic 1200 M3D's, Traktor Scratch Pro Licenese, 2 shure m447's, and no mixer. I did have a vestax mixer, Traktor 1 stuff, but sold it recently due to looking for a better mixer. At my local music store I was going to purchase a used rane ttm56s for $670.The sales guy says he would hold it for me until later today.

Then one of my friends told me he knew his dj friend selling a Traktor S4 for about $780. He told me I had to tell him today so he could let his friend know if I wanted to buy it. He said his friend was holding it for me because I was interested. I don't know what would be the best route. I dont plan to gig until next year. I just started back up. I spin R&B, pop, dancehall, and hiphop. I have two things to choose from, and I have to let both sellers know the deal today. Any suggestions would be appreciated. What would you do personally?
    1. a. buy traktor s4 2. purchase used dj mixer for turntables later
    2. a. purchase rane mixer b. upgrade to traktor 2 hardware kit ($400) c.get traktor s4 much later after gigging out with turntables for a while.

get the S4.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Not sure if you knew this but.......your turntables can plug right into the S4 and you can use the s4 as a mixer/soundcard/decks a+b. The only downside maybe is that its nearly 20"wide....need a good sized table to set it alll up

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Not sure if you knew this but.......your turntables can plug right into the S4 and you can use the s4 as a mixer/soundcard/decks a+b. The only downside maybe is that its nearly 20"wide....need a good sized table to set it alll up

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that. I think that would be too much to lug around. I don't what the hell to do.

get the s4.
    you can use it as a mixer at home, and if you decide you dont like the TTs you can get rid of them/ not use them

if you start giging, then the s4 will provide some extra controls and stuff anyway, so its kind of worth its size.

if you decide its a hassle you can sell it and get a mixer.

the s4 gives you the most options in the future.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

spend the extra 120 and get a brand new denon Dn-x1600

Buy the S4 pair it up with TT's @ home. Best of both worlds.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Get the rane

S4 is a controller

get the s4. made perfectly for traktor, its a controller which adds versatility, and a mixer at the same time. built in sound card and has good control over 4 channels. (me being biased)

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    spend the extra 120 and get a brand new denon Dn-x1600
    I second this

The mixer is traktor certified, so you don't need to get a new soundcard because you can use the one in the mixer. Its also smaller and fully midi compliant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast