Akai MPD 32 use in live performance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Akai MPD 32 use in live performance?

Can someone please explain to me how is it that producers, such as Pretty Lights, solely use the Akai MPD 32 for their live shows?

It kinda looks (and sounds) like all they do is press play on a playlist. I like to think I'm just being ignorant and that there are more technicalities about the subject but I don't know.

Please feel free to enlighten me.

Hey, I use the MPD26 in my setup. It is similar to the 32, just missing some fader's and knobs. I use the pads to trigger effects, the fader's control effect levels, and the knobs control bass/treble/pitch seeing as I don't use a standard Dj setup.

Also if your curious, I use a APC20 and a Kontrol X1 in my setup aswell. If they are JUST using the 32 alone, then I guess they are taking advantage of the banks which can duplicate the amount of control you have over the controller.

So for instance,

BANK 1 - Effect controls.

BANK 2 - Bass/treble/etc controls.

BANK 3 - Whatever they want etc.

Hope that helps.

Alot of those guys it really is more or less them playing a sequence and then tapping out some random bit. There are a hand few of producers where you can tell their live show, the "live" bit of their show is them twisting the beat repeat knob on random snares

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    Alot of those guys it really is more or less them playing a sequence and then tapping out some random bit. There are a hand few of producers where you can tell their live show, the "live" bit of their show is them twisting the beat repeat knob on random snares
    +The Finger for destroying beats
    +Turnado by SugarBytes for your faders and knobs

The best "live" show you'll ever put on.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Pretty lights just doesn't solely use a 32 while performing he use a monome128 as well. I don't know exactly how he sets up the monome tho...

Thank you for your responses I kind of have an idea of how it works now. Are there any tutorials on how to set this up using Ableton?

He doesn't use the monome anymore.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1665272_n.jpg

hmm sorry man i didnt know he stopped using the monome!

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    +The Finger for destroying beats
    +Turnado by SugarBytes for your faders and knobs

The best "live" show you'll ever put on.
    Too automatic I really wouldn't call that a show. I enjoy using this stuff for the out put it creates but at some point it just seems like you have to admit to yourself that THAT isnt being a musician, its a race for novelty, who has got the newest shiny to show off who has got the newest beat repeat and who is going to flail their body into a filter transition... shit is becoming a caricature of itself

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    Too automatic I really wouldn't call that a show. I enjoy using this stuff for the out put it creates but at some point it just seems like you have to admit to yourself that THAT isnt being a musician, its a race for novelty, who has got the newest shiny to show off who has got the newest beat repeat and who is going to flail their body into a filter transition... shit is becoming a caricature of itself
    Was being somewhat sarcastic, but if some of the grid to accapella bits on a rack you can make musical use of le turnado and the finger.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    Was being somewhat sarcastic, but if some of the grid to accapella bits on a rack you can make musical use of le turnado and the finger.

Ha damn text losing its sarcastic tone. Man its good stuff im just skeptical of some producers who do "live" shows. With electronic music its a really fine line between quality and just faking the funk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast