Song Structure Evolution - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what if bpm was made irrelevant? hm... impossible?
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    what if bpm was made irrelevant? hm... impossible?
    Lol then it wouldnt be music, it would just be noise.

well thats where the controllerist comes in with their herbs and spices
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I think a constant bpm is just part of the nature of sequenced music.
    QFT!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I think you are looking for IDM. It's been around for a couple of decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_dance_music
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Tech Mentor

People have no problems dancing to jazz music with a tempo thats all over the show
    From what I'm aware of jazz is difficult to dance to not because the tempo is all over the place (I find it to be quite consistent) but because a lot of it isn't meant to be danced to. I find that the swing and funk infused jazz are the most danceable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox
    Or rather, it's easier to dance to music with a consistant tempo
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon
    im thinking like instead of having your track so that it has a beggining middle and end that are all linked somehow musically (a song), you'd have a "track" that is no longer a song but instead a large group of similar sounding samples/buildups/slowdowns/whatever that you can pick and choose from at your own will and chuck into loopy fun
    Girl Talk does that already and it sounds awesome. You can get his album for free here (or make a donation) http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net...__anima.ls___/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loay View Post
    Girl Talk does that already and it sounds awesome. You can get his album for free here (or make a donation) http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net...__anima.ls___/
    Ewwww... mashups. But yes your right, as far as mashups go, Girl Talk does the best job that I've heard.

Anyone else curious how Girl Talk isn't swimming in lawsuits?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

People have no problems dancing to jazz music with a tempo thats all over the show
    The thing with jazz is that it is a really broad term when it comes to musicality and structure. There isn't one style of jazz, and a lot of the music is very danceable (between 100 and 130bpm). It has been being danced to since its inception, really, all through the south in the late 19th and early 20th century. It developed into swing, which is really just jazz music, as far as I'm concerned, just stylized differently.

There is also a lot of classic jazz that is structure just like classical music, just with some swing on the 1/8th notes. So, technically, you can dance to classical music as well... think about that

Also, jazz is meant to be heard as songs that are journeys. These can range from 2 minutes to 12.5 (check out Channel 1 Suite and Pick Up The Pieces, two of my favorite jazz tracks), whereas DJ mixes are supposed to use lots of different songs to take the crowd on a journey when spinning live. This is, of course, a generalization.

As far as what Kaon is bringing up, I don't think that EDM was made for DJs. I think that EDM was made for people. Disco is technically EDM and people ate that shit up for years. Boy bands, pop groups, and general dance music is made cause people like it. I think there are remixes made, and styles invented, for the DJ to be able to control the structure of the music better for a dance floor.

I don't think structureless music will have much of a place outside of a niche market. We've been listening to structured music for centuries, and I think it would be very difficult to get people involved in a style where there is absolutely no structure. Even ambient noise artists use a structure. They might be the only ones that get it, but it's there, or so I'm told.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    So, technically, you can dance to classical music as well... think about that

Oh god dancing to classical music?!

I agree with Dvls, dance music follows a certain structure not only in the way the song is laid out but also a certain rhythmic structure e.g. kick snare kick snare. It's consistent rhythmically so you can follow it. Without that, dancers have no one to guide them.

Classical dance suites follow the same rules. Minuets, Bourres follow ONE two three, ONE two three, Jigs follow ONE two three four five six ONE etc...

Without this rhythmic structure, one can appreciate it only for being music and not danceable music.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, after I typed that I realized it's not really a technicality but I saw something shiny and forgot what was going on

Rhythm makes it danceable. No rhythm means it's not going to be very danceable.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast