Allen and Heath DB4, can anyone explain why/what it does that makes it so "good" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You could get a couple of these DJ Tech platters....
    http://www.djtechpro.com/product_det...product_id=294
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Dan, that looks like what I'm after, but it appears that the Jogwheel is maybe 4 inches or so...I'm one of those gorilla handed DJs so I may need something slightly larger...but that is just about what I'm looking for, I know Denon has one out, but I hear good and bad things about denon stuff so I was just wondering what else is out there...thanks for the helpful reply dan (and everyone else in the thread)
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

The denon jogwheel controller I was talking about is the SC2000 if anyone has any experience with it please clue me in as well
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

What about the otus with the db4 that would be monster for scratching

I think the developers are still finding new things it can do.
    Have to give this a +1!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Either the Denon or the Otus. I wouldn't Spend that much money on the mixer then put one of those DJ Tech platters next to it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Alright, I watched the 3rd video where the (austrailian?) gentleman reviewed it and a few questions came up...first it seems like (like every thing that analyzes tempo) it works great with straight beat (techno, house, trance etc) styles, what I want to know is if it is useful for breakbeat styles, drum and bass in particular...it seems like bpm analysis doesn't work that well for fast breaks.
    Haven't had any problems with the bpm detection on breaks/dnb... It takes about 5 seconds to adjust when doing a complete shift (say 130 to 170 bpm with a quick cut), but its pretty much always spot on. Also, you have the option to just sync with the MIDI clock in Traktor for the BPM data.

also is the crossfader light enough for scratching, because I'd like to get some sort of midi "jogwheel" control so I can scratch a bit.
    In short, yes. Its one of the most comfortable faders I've used, light enough to smash around but not so light that it keeps drifting when you let go. Also the crossfader "steepness" is adjustable, with a very quick cut option that is good for scratching.

could you maybe explain a little bit deeper the whys behind using the built in effects as opposed to traktors (which sound pretty good to me, but I use very shitty speakers....)
    The biggest advantage for me, personally, is that it alleviates any CPU usage. This probably isn't much of a concern with Traktor, but when I have an Ableton set loaded up with 100+ tracks and tons of macro fx racks across a few channels, things can get dicey. In addition to this, the effects controls are much more natural with this than anything else I've used... every effect type has 4 parameters to control (for instance, the ping pong delay has dry/wet, feedback, time, and a frequency sweep), and everything is laid out in a manner that makes it very easy to understand and make subtle adjustments to find just the sound that you want. Also on that note, such a level of control allows for the user to make very minor touches in modifying a song, rather than completely destroying it as I find many software effects do.

Or, if destroying the sound is your kind of thing, you have that option too...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnJpI8nSwwo

explain a bit more about the loop roll
    Don't know how much I can say that hasn't been demonstrated already... its always recording 4 bars on each channel and you can grab a loop from that anywhere down to 1/16th beat. The way its laid out makes it very easy to do quick beat repeats, loop-closing builds, or whatever else you can come up with. One of the things I like to do is route the same track on 2 channels (which is easy to adjust, as the soundcard input to each mixer channel is instantly switchable), grab a loop on one channel and close it in time with the natural buildup on the main track, crossfading between the two. You can get even messier with this with feedback routing (i.e. plugging the record out into an analog input channel) if you're bold and daring.

The bottom line pretty much is that you can work your way around into doing a lot of what the DB4 does via software and you're well into the realm of diminishing returns with the top-tier price tag, but if you've got the cash to spare and don't want to make any compromises, it certainly is the best way to go.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 07-03-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Nice video digital devil.

I swear every time I see that thing being used I feel a strange urge to sell everything I own and pick one up along with a copy of ableton.

Luckily I come to my senses realise that I know nothing about production and thus everything I do with ableton would be total shit.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Xone 92
    2x Technics 1200's - Xone 92 -
    MidiFighter Classic x2 - TSP2 - Audio 10 - Black MacBook

fwiw, the db4 operates with a fixed point dsp architecture which comes from the a&h iLive digital consoles. but rather than spin the numbers, i would suggest finding a way to listen to it and give it a play. the interaction of matrix, dual filter mode eq, effects and loopers, are an amazing journey. just a/b the reverbs in traktor vs the db4 for a moment.

another detail that's quite nice is the firmware - updates will include new effects and routing options, plus many other features to extend it's use. i've got a new beta right now that extend the delay options in very nice ways. :-) if you were to use iLive's firmware progression as a reference, version 1.0 to 1.8 are like having entirely new consoles. there are many great things coming for db4 in that domain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast