mp3

Thread: mp3

Tech Wizard

Default mp3

I was wondering if there is any software that'll make my itunes files into mp3 and delete the non mp3 one?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

iTunes will convert them to mp3, but you have to delete them afterwards. I would never trust software to make the decision to delete files anyway. You can do it in bulk by selecting several tracks, right clicking and choose convert to mp3. Check that your import settings in preferences are all set up correctly first.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

What photojojo said, but after you've converted your collection, you may have every new track next to the original, so you would have to select every other track to delete (would take ages if its a big collection).
    Use the 'date added' view column to show all your old files, then all the new ones above them. Or do a similar thing from within finder.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    iTunes will convert them to mp3, but you have to delete them afterwards. I would never trust software to make the decision to delete files anyway. You can do it in bulk by selecting several tracks, right clicking and choose convert to mp3. Check that your import settings in preferences are all set up correctly first.
    Actually, iTunes has .m4a files as well IF you purchase songs there. But yeah. I also agree ^^^^

Tech Mentor

transcodes are baddddd....

Quote Originally Posted by Invoke View Post
    transcodes are baddddd....
    They're bad if you do it multiple times. Taking an AAC and turning it into an mp3 one time isn't really bad at all. Taking that same AAC and making it a wav, then a 192 mp3, then a 128 mp3, then a 320 mp3 is bad though so just do it once.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    What photojojo said, but after you've converted your collection, you may have every new track next to the original, so you would have to select every other track to delete (would take ages if its a big collection).
    Use the 'date added' view column to show all your old files, then all the new ones above them. Or do a similar thing from within finder.

If you select multiple tracks inside iTunes and convert to mp3 all of the selected tracks stay selected when it's done converting. Then it's just a matter of deleting those tracks.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    They're bad if you do it multiple times. Taking an AAC and turning it into an mp3 one time isn't really bad at all. Taking that same AAC and making it a wav, then a 192 mp3, then a 128 mp3, then a 320 mp3 is bad though so just do it once.
    yeah i guess your right, one time wont be too big of a deal. i just come from a bigger audio community where transcodes are the devil and are punishable by death.

any ways just keep in minds that 320 AAC -> 320 mp3 does not equal wav -> 320 mp3