Beatmatching in Key? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    And as far as BPM goes they don't have to be the same by any means. You can pretty easily fluctuate in BPM range by keeping key lock on and slowly adjusting pitch,
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  2. #12
    Tech Mentor Nick V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Probably just reiterating what others have said but tonal mixing is a great tool to have in your shed but it isn't necessary to do every mix in the same or complimentary keys. Coming from vinyl I still just make lists of tracks that sound "perfect" together - the one's you can mix together for 2-3 minutes at a time. These combos aren't just in resonant keys but also have complimentary rhythm parts, or create some kind of call and response between two parts.

    Also key lock will degrade the quality of the track faster then just about anything else in digital Djing. It's fine when the BPM of the track you're playing is less than 5% off of the original BPM but quality goes down quickly after that. This becomes a serious problem if you like playing tracks far off of their original BPMs.

  3. #13
    Tech Guru DarioJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North & Central FL
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    And as far as BPM goes they don't have to be the same by any means. You can pretty easily fluctuate in BPM range by keeping key lock on and slowly adjusting pitch,
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    Also key lock will degrade the quality of the track faster then just about anything else in digital Djing. It's fine when the BPM of the track you're playing is less than 5% off of the original BPM but quality goes down quickly after that. This becomes a serious problem if you like playing tracks far off of their original BPMs.
    With the above said, I was wondering WITHOUT key-lock on what is a tolerable rate, percentage wise, to change or effect a key (in either direction). I am sure this is a fairly broad question which would depend on the quality of the analogue/digital sources, quality of the soundcard used, etc., but could we assume there is a "percentage range" that TRAKTOR does change to the next key?

    IE: While using Traktor, If I played a track and moved the bpm(or key) to +/- x%, I would then have either 1A or 3A.... what would "x" be equal to?

    Anyone with a keyboard and a good ear wanna try that out? lol...
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

  4. #14
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I've always stuck to +/- 4% max when playing vinyl, to avoid pitch problems.

    This always seems to work when digital DJ'ing too.
    My Soundcloud page: Bedlamite

  5. #15
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Awesome thanks a lot guys

  6. #16
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Soooo using virtual dj the keys are displayed as Xm and X#m, which of these is major and which is minor?

  7. #17
    Tech Guru bumtsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Both are minor (m), but the second one is sharp (#)

  8. #18
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    Both are minor (m), but the second one is sharp (#)
    Interesting, seems like the vast majority of my songs are in minor

  9. #19
    Tech Guru bumtsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Yup. Most of our music is in minor keys. Which more often than not, gives more sparkle to the odd major track that you'll drop at some point

  10. #20
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    With the above said, I was wondering WITHOUT key-lock on what is a tolerable rate, percentage wise, to change or effect a key (in either direction). I am sure this is a fairly broad question which would depend on the quality of the analogue/digital sources, quality of the soundcard used, etc., but could we assume there is a "percentage range" that TRAKTOR does change to the next key?

    IE: While using Traktor, If I played a track and moved the bpm(or key) to +/- x%, I would then have either 1A or 3A.... what would "x" be equal to?

    Anyone with a keyboard and a good ear wanna try that out? lol...
    +/- 6% is a "whole" semitone. Bear in mind these are not discrete values, though - it doesn't stay in one key all the way through to +6% and then suddenly switch.

    The advice is usually to behave as if the key has shifted a semitone at +/- 3% (YMMV).

    WARNING: shifting a semitone is _not_ moving + or - 1 on the Camelot wheel. It's + or - 7. So your 2A track would be closest to 9A at a little over +3%.

    The reality here is that the best advice has already been given (Didn't check by whom before I started this post, so I'll edit the bigups in later): Don't be a slave. Train and then trust your ears.

    As a personal opinion, a key clash can actually be an interesting effect if you're looking to make people uncomfortable. Tension -> Release?
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •