Trouble calling yourself a Dj?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Trouble calling yourself a Dj?

Hey, I've been djing (controller+traktor pro) for about four months(?) on and off and I think I've finally started to get good enough to play small house parties and the like. But I still don't consider myself to be a Dj or worthy of a Dj name.

What about you? When did you consider yourself a DJ and/or start using a dj alias?

Tech Guru

when i started sharing my mixes with friends i started using a dj moniker to label the cd's with. i think i had been practicing for atleast a year or so before i started letting people listen to my stuff though.

Tech Mentor

Until someone who you respect like a dj, tells you good job. I think so
    Thank Ya!!!

Plenty of DJ's don't take a DJ name.

As you can tell by my moniker, I believe that a DJ name should be bestowed upon him by someone else, not created by himself. Hence, I'm stuck with this!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by misha_val View Post
    Hey, I've been djing (controller+traktor pro) for about four months(?) on and off and I think I've finally started to get good enough to play small house parties and the like. But I still don't consider myself to be a Dj or worthy of a Dj name.

What about you? When did you consider yourself a DJ and/or start using a dj alias?

I know what your thinking. I have only really been doing this for a little less then a year on and off at times. When i first started with traktor i was doing to basic things to call myself a DJ (Plus my limited music knowledge at the time didnt help).

I think it really hit me when i would just be messing around and out of no where songs would come into my head that i knew would mix well with the track i currently had playing, and then i knew what effects to mix it in seamlessly.

Your experience might be different but you'll get there, just keep practicing.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

I starting calling myself a DJ when some one at a house party walked up smiling and said "You actually mix songs, I didn't know people did that on laptops".

At that point I had a EDM project going on called SyblingQ. So I just went by that name. Seemed to fit. I rarely us DJ in front of my name.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Tech Mentor

I think I'm going to keep my name unless someone gives me one although it's a pain to pronounce my last name. It's also because I teach piano and I'd rather have them know me as a dj and a teacher under the same name.

@Andrew
    Your last is unique enought that you could just go by Loay, or DJ Loay. Meh?
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

CASH IN HAND!! That's when it hit me first!

I still feel weird calling myself a DJ sometimes. Especialy when I'm in the presence of a true master of the art! I start to think I'm not worthy.
    BUT, when you have the crowd in the palm of your hand, and can do whatever you want and they just go nuts... BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD!!
    DJ N8
    "Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die" -DMB

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I started calling myself a DJ once I started giving out mixes. And when I spun my first gig and had the only respectable dance floor out of four DJs, one of whom had been spinning for 15 years. I figured I had something good going
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast