SSL, SL2 or traktor with 850s
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SSL, SL2 or traktor with 850s

Ok, so im going down to my closest DJ store to upgrade my gear, now im sold on hardware so far

2 x cdj 850s to replace my v7

Now im not sure about software, stuck between traktor scratch duo 2 and scratch live.
    Now my store has more than one listing for serato. It’s got serato scratch live (5yr warranty) for about $700 (Australia, so massive mark ups but not the point)
    And Serato SL2, now as far as I can see they both come with the control vinyl and cd’s but the sl2 is about $530 and I cant work out why.

At the moment im leaning toward scratch live because im running windows 7 and ive seen many people having problems with traktor, my other option is don’t buy the software yet because pioneer have released a tsi for T2 and the 850 so I might just buy the cdj’s download the T2 demo and see how they work, if they run fine with no lags or crashes then ill go T2 if not ill go serato.

I guess my main question is what is the difference between the SSL and the SL2, ill put the links down in a bit, at work and I cant access that site.

edit: here are the links
    https://www.storedj.com.au/products/RAN-SL2
    https://www.storedj.com.au/products/RAN-SERATO
    Last edited by GXAssassin; 07-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Tech Guru

SL2 is the newer 2 channel soundcard for SSL. It sounds much better. As for the 850's I would also wait for software because SSL will provide native support for them soon. In the case with most CDJ SSL has better plater performance than traktor does. However you could run traktor without a dedeicated soundcard so it would be cheaper

Why are u getting rid of the V7's I would hold off to see if itch 2.0 does what you need. It should be out soon.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

well i only have 1 v7 atm but i guess its more for versitility and ive been getting dropouts in itch and would rather not have that happen at a gig, ive got one in a few weeks which is y im upgrading

If you're getting CDjs only as controllers for Traktor, they're not really worth the price. If you're getting them for cd usage as well, that's a different story. Keep in mind that if you're using them as timecode inputs, your cue points on them will not work well according to what I've read unless you're in absolute mode, and even then it's iffy. I'll admit I don't have specific experience with them so I'd welcome others to chime in.

Edit: eating = getting... gotta love iPhone auto correct.
    Last edited by keeb; 07-07-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    If you're eating CDjs only as controllers for Traktor, they're not really worth the price. If you're getting them for cd usage as well, that's a different story. Keep in mind that if you're using them as timecode inputs, your cue points on them will not work well according to what I've read unless you're in absolute mode, and even then it's iffy. I'll admit I don't have specific experience with them so I'd welcome others to chime in.
    yeah I agree. I'm using CDJ-400's and unless I have them in HID mode they don't respond as well with timecode, especially CUE. However, the flexibility is great I can use CD's, USB, stick, SSL, Traktor, CDJ's soundcard with Traktor, etc.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

ill be using them with usb and cd's aswell, but i'd like to be able to use then with traktor or SSL aswell.

As for your seeing people with issues with Traktor and windows, it's a bit of a crapshoot. When I used windows 7 with Traktor, I really didn't have any issues. However, there's a lot more variability with the hardware in windows machines, and you have a better chance of it not working. Serato is more likely to "just work", but at the same time, you also have a lot fewer features. I like the visuals in serato a bit more for beatmatching, but the effects are really clunky in comparison to Traktor and the creative possibilities are a bit more limited, IMO. Serato's a bit more common in US clubs from what I've seen, and gets a bit more respect than Traktor from the ignorant given its lack of a sync feature. However, having tried both I prefer Traktor. There are also several threads on this forum and on djforums about this topic. Also, if you're getting TSDuo it'll be significantly cheaper than Serato and offers a pretty cheap upgrade path to pro (think it's still 80 bucks). Plus, the Audio 6 is equivalent to an SL3 in terms of features for less than the price of an SL1 or 2.

so do you think it's possible to test the 850's midi campabilities on the T2 demo or would i need the proper software?

Quote Originally Posted by GXAssassin View Post
    At the moment im leaning toward scratch live because im running windows 7 and ive seen many people having problems with traktor.
    Not true. I run 7 and it handles Traktor just fine. Just make sure you have a computer with the power to run it and you'll be golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

well i have a toshiba running a core i3 330. so in theory it should be fine. so if i was to go traktor i guess it then comes down to how well it works through midi with pioneers official tsi agaist how it works through timecode.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast