help w/ picking out a cheap setup - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    yes thanks to that video, the reaktorbox is a dumb idea, i'm just putting cds in / usb stick in. i dont want any laptops or care for laptops.
    it's not dumb at all. you only need to use a laptop to prepare stuff *if* you want to. then you just plug your usb stick into the cdj - no laptop required.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Honestly, you're kind of silly for not considering a controller. If you're starting from a blank slate, why would you go with CD players and a 2 channel mixer? It sounds like you're kinda new to this, what's your reasoning behind wanting low end CD players? I recommend you take a long hard look at the S4 or NS6. They are capable of so much more than CDJs and a mixer would ever be. If you're trying to be old school, get records.

And hauling around all that gear and flipping through CD cases sucks. Typing the name of a song and pushing load is so much easier.

Don't be such a snob. He want to use CDJs, let him use CDJs. Looking through a wallet isn't that fucking hard. It's certainly easier than carrying an expensive laptop and some big ass controller everywhere and then having to set it all up whenever you have a gig.

You're no better than the CDJ folks who dismiss controllers.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Guru

i got rid of my controllers for a CDJ set up. I have less features, more flexibility.....but really --- I just enjoy how it feels more.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Exactly the same with me and vinyl.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    Honestly, you're kind of silly for not considering a controller. If you're starting from a blank slate, why would you go with CD players and a 2 channel mixer? It sounds like you're kinda new to this, what's your reasoning behind wanting low end CD players? I recommend you take a long hard look at the S4 or NS6. They are capable of so much more than CDJs and a mixer would ever be. If you're trying to be old school, get records.

And hauling around all that gear and flipping through CD cases sucks. Typing the name of a song and pushing load is so much easier.
    I personally prefare the feel of cjd's and its less to carry for me.... a cd wallet compaired to controller and laptop and since most users on this site insist on macbook pro and s4 thats like 4000 euro being hauled around... when nearly alllllllll clubs have a semi decent cdj, usually 800's or 1000's here in ireland
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    i got rid of my controllers for a CDJ set up. I have less features, more flexibility.....but really --- I just enjoy how it feels more.
    i like the last sentence. in the future i will also like to get into vinyls just scared of how long it could take for me to get really good with it, imagin counting bars in ur brain at all time, i think its scary just thinking about it. with cdjs im going to use loops to make transitions/blend, something i wont be able to do with vinyls alone so memorizing the bars of a track with vinyl wud be a lot more work but should be fun =x
    Last edited by cutflow; 07-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    hauling around all that gear and flipping through CD cases sucks.
    One of the benefits of playing on "standard" gear is that the kit is already at the venue... But yes, making and flipping through CDs is definitely something I don't miss. Get something with flash drive support.

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    i like the last sentence. in the future i will also like to get into vinyls just scared of how long it could take for me to get really good with it, imagin counting bars in ur brain at all time, i think its scary just thinking about it. with cdjs im going to use loops to make transitions/blend, something i wont be able to do with vinyls alone so memorizing the bars of a track with vinyl wud be a lot more work but should be fun =x
    much cooler avatar reminds me i need to come up with something. figured i'd do it "after i posted a bit" oops

certainly not a bad idea starting with something more "manual" than a controller and software - and i'm pretty sure my years more "traditional dj'ing" really helped me now i'm just experimenting with controllers. makes you "listen" more and will give you skills you probably wouldn't pick up if starting on controllers.

there again controllers are another cool thing to consider sometime - but with those 350's you could use those anyway ofc.

i actually don't think using vinyl is more work than cd's (even tho my only real experience with cd's was a rather crappy gemini (i think)) as you don't need to actively memorize so much - you can see the grooves in the record to see when the transitions are going to come in. certainly more fun than watching a counter on a cd - but is maybe kind of like looking at the waveform - which you will have on those ofc.

swings and roundabouts anyway - it's all good if it gets you into dj'ing really...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

if you can get 350s for cheaper go for it. They aren't really much of an improvement over the 400s imo. I have 400s, my friend has 350, I find the tempo to be fairly off at times, but its probably cause I was relying on the screen readout a little too much. Supposedly the jogs on the 350 are weighted the same as 800s, 900s, 1000s etc. Honestly I thought the jogs felt like donkey balls, I mean the 350 jogs are smaller, so making them weighted the same as bigger jogs doesn't really make much sense to me but thats me. Other then that the screen read out has a beat counter to show you 1-4 beats. Also for a mixer I have a 400 and I love it (its for sale ), I enjoyed having the effects and everything built into the mixer. The 350 only has 4 crappy effects.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast