Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon vs NI

amidoinitrite

Default Denon vs NI

I've been doing a lot of debating..
    I have a dnx1600 and a sc2000
    I'm wondering if I'd be better off picking up another sc2000
    or downgrading to an S4 and X1(1or2) or a MF
    Te only thing I don't like about the x1600 is, now that I've gone 100% digital it
    seems big compared to other controllers
    and I'm still having a hard time figuring out whats so great about the S4..
    but everyone seems to love them

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The 1600 is a standard mixer size and smaller width wise at leaste than the S4. I will admit though I'm very intrigued by that 1600 and if I were to buy a mixer right now that would be the one. Actually i may not be that far away from buying one. That said the number one thing keeping from doing that is that everything is easier with the S4 because of it's 1-1 integration with the software.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

amidoinitrite

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The 1600 is a standard mixer size and smaller width wise at leaste than the S4. I will admit though I'm very intrigued by that 1600 and if I were to buy a mixer right now that would be the one. Actually i may not be that far away from buying one. That said the number one thing keeping from doing that is that everything is easier with the S4 because of it's 1-1 integration with the software.
    Thanks for the reply!
    by size I meant transporting,*and I have a road case.. BUT I never thought about throwing it in a back pack.. I could definitely fix the x1600 and 2 sc2000 in a back pack. don't know why I didn't think of that before.

the x1600 is traktor certified so you get your 4 traktor deck mixer.. then misc midi mapping for whatever you want.. and the sc2000s were built for traktor and pretty much do the same as the S4

But downgrading would give me some extra cash

its just a matter of that extra cash being worth less control..
    but I could pick up a X1(or 2 of them.. or a MF) to get a little more control

right now, price wise for my situation.. S4 + 2 X1s would be roughly $200-$300 cheaper than an x1600 + 2 sc2000

but I have a feeling the denon setup is more versatile..
    because it seems like the X1s and S4s are just fads (purely opinion)

Tech Guru

Keep your mixer man. I don't know what you would need an S4 + 2 X1's...that to me is button over kill. I would stay with the mixer add an X1 or add an SC2000 if you need jogs. I've seen quite a few big name headliner DJ's play at Space in Miami with a mixer and just one X1. You have a good mixer, you'll probably enjoy the feel of it more than than the S4. Also, if you ever need to play somewhere else just bring the X1's and leave the mixer at home if they place already has a set-up installed. If not, your mixer in a back pack + X1 is easy to transport. The attractive ness of the S4 is that it's 899 comes with software, a sound card, and all you do is plug in one usb and speakers and every thing is set up and ready to go.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I have 2 of the Denon's mixing externally through an Audio 8 and I love the combo as I can roll up with my laptop bag holding my MBP, 2 denon's, my soundcard and a crane stand and just plug into the house mixer. Besides I also love my mixer at home and couldn't find an all in one that gave me the same feel and options. The only drawback with the SC2000's is it seems Denon is not quite as quick to come out with firmware & tsi updates as they are for the MC6000 but if you can midimap that's not that big of a deal. Ultimately only you can decide what works best for you and keeps you interested and creative.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

amidoinitrite

thanks for all the feedback!
    so.. if I keep the mixer and sc2000 I just have to decide if I should get another sc2000 or X1
    Reasons for another the sc2000:
    It will look more professional (everything matches)
    I like the fact that it has 4 banks with 2 pages each
    could have a bank to control FX with the platter and pitch

Reasons for the X1:
    all 8 cues right at your fingertips.. no switching pages
    I only need one platter for scratching/spin backs
    knobs don't click like the sc2000

I guess on the sc2000 if I need 8 cues I could also assign the loop buttons as cues

another thing.. haze324 was right about 2 X1s being an overkill.. so that would mean and S4 + X1 would be about $500 less expensive than x1600 + 2 sc2000s

I'm thinking about going to GC to test out a S4.. but I think I've watched enough videos.. and I wouldn't be able to play it long enough to get a fell for how I'd use it for advanced routines

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I have one X1 and an S4, that combo is nearly perfect. I'm getting ready to buy another X1, but a large part of the reason I'm doing that is to do a mapping that would mirror what it would be like to use a 1600 with just the X1's and see how it feels.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I had an S4 but got rid of it to go back to a mixer - I also use 2 DNSC2000s and a midi-fighter.

You say you want to do 'advanced routines' which makes me think you juggle cue points / fx and so on - if so i think you should get a midifighter - it's what they were designed for and they are the best you can get for that purpose.

One thing I would say is that the S4 feels like what it is - plastic - so may be a bit of a shock coming from a quality mixer like the Denon.
    SC | MC

Default Denon vs NI

Get the s4! You'll love it. Lol

But really I think it comes down to what you want to do. If portability is key the s4 wins hands down. I haven't gotten chance to try out a 1600 yet but there is definitely less immediate cue point control and the s4 layout is real easy to understand.

I want the 1600 because with my 1200s I don't really have a semblance of portability right now. I'd rather have a traditional mixer and coffin setup as opposed to the width of the s4 since I like using DVS. CDjs and even the 1200s are a bit redundant on the s4 but I want to learn to scratch.

amidoinitrite

thanks everyone for the replies.. i'm really torn!
    After considering the size factor, I think the x1600 + 2 controllers.. might actually be more portable than the S4 (if not then about the same).. with the S4 you'd need an extended back..hwith the dnx1600 I could just get a quality backpack and it should fix right in along with a couple controllers

I also take great care of my gear.. so the durability of the S4 isn't an issue.. BUT the fact that its plastic and toy-like might dampen my self-poise.
    the sc2000s are solid and the platters are solid and smooth.. from videos the S4s platters seem kinda cheap.. and they are kind of ugly.. not a huge deal tho

the big question.. is the extra control and quality worth $500 more
    I also think the denon might hold its value longer

I've never been a fan of the MFs.. $200 for 16 buttons seems like a lot.. the bottom half of the X1 has 16 buttons. I have several question about MFs but I'll do my research and save my questions about that for a different discussion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast