Mini.trans with VCI-300 jog wheel 4 midi out messages
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Mini.trans with VCI-300 jog wheel 4 midi out messages

I was wondering who ever is programming the Bomes Mini.trans ...by the way, thanks. could program a version that could make the jog wheels act like the one on the VCI-100: midi outs on the commands, not just 2, for scratching. As it is now, the platters are give 2 midi outs. The top plates and the jogs in both directions. If Bomes could make it where the platter would give a midi message on platter up and back and with the top plate /move to give 4 messages like on the 100, where as the 300 just gives 2 midi messages. I figure this could be fixed in Bomes or in a firmware upgrade. This would fix the scratching problem.

If the new traktor update doesnt support the jogs we need an update of mini.translator anyway, one wich only only translate the jogs, were would we be without this great tool

10Us, can you tell me if the jogs works with the midi-translater en traktor pro?
    Because till today, i wasn't been able to get it to work at all!

Tech Guru

Yes, jogs work in Traktor Pro with Mini.Trans- all works fine.
    10 US is correct, Mini.trans would need an update and just for jogs, but with an added
    preset to give "VCI-100 jog control" would be cool, as then the scratch function would work properly like on the 100. The problem with the 300 is the jogs only send 1 midi message when moving them. Where as on the 100, there is midi message in both directions and another for the top jog plate in combination with moving up or down, to create another midi out. These are what separate the 300 and 100, for scratch ability with Traktor.

I figure with Bomes, this could be easily fixed.
    Yes..Big thanks to DJTT and Mini.Trans..!! Very nice and respect to this site.
    Last edited by claudek; 02-14-2009 at 02:59 PM.

I could probably do this in 10 min if i had a vci-300

Thanx, i give it a try this evening...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by claudek View Post
    Yes, jogs work in Traktor Pro with Mini.Trans- all works fine.
    10 US is correct, Mini.trans would need an update and just for jogs, but with an added
    preset to give "VCI-100 jog control" would be cool, as then the scratch function would work properly like on the 100. The problem with the 300 is the jogs only send 1 midi message when moving them. Where as on the 100, there is midi message in both directions and another for the top jog plate in combination with moving up or down, to create another midi out. These are what separate the 300 and 100, for scratch ability with Traktor.
    The VCI-300 sends on/off data to indicate to indicate scratch on/off (Hex value: 144 84 0/127), and also sends absolute position relative to the jog (for example, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, etc).

On the other hand, the VCI-100 sends different types of data depending on whether you are in scratch mode (the equivalent to indicate touch of the platter). If in scratch mode, it sends velocity of the jog wheel. If not in scratch mode, it sends note on/off data (moving clockwise, moving counterclockwise).

I don't know how the mini.translator changes the VCI-300, but hopefully the above information should help. I guess the logic in bome's would needs to determine if the scratch mode is on, then intercept the messages and convert them to note on/off information.

sgb

Tech Wizard

Yes, Yes and Yes again, we need this working.

Tech Wizard

Alright, I'm putting up a draft of the translator, beware that this one will not work because I have not assigned the MIDI output message. All you should need to do is customize the pp assignment variables to the correct MIDI control.

No promises this will work however, I wrote this without any testing whatsoever.

The general idea is this: if a user lets go of the jog wheel, setup a counter (default to 50). When the user stops touches the jog wheel, reset the counter. THUS, YOU NEED TO TOUCH AND LET GO OF THE JOG BEFORE THIS WILL WORK (its a hack solution, give me a break).

This is the general idea:

Each time the jog wheel sends data indicating counterclockwise rotation, decrement the counter by 1. Each time the jog wheen sends data indicating indicating clockwise rotation, increment the counter by 1. When the counter is 35, send "I'm going backwards data" and reset the counter to 50. Likewise, when the counter is 65, send "I'm going forwards data" and reset the counter to 50.

Tech Guru

cool. I will try it later and report back..
    Thanks
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast