Midi fighter hiphop ability?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Midi fighter hiphop ability?

Hi i am a DJ who is trying to have fun by combining turntablism and controllerism now im curious if i should get a midi fighter to add to the mix because a X1 doesnt seem to compliment hiphop music i spin.

So what im asking from you does anyone have an explanation of what a MF can do with hiphop music or does anyone have a video i can see of them mixing hiphop with a midifighter, cue points can be used with any controller but what does the MF do for my hiphop and top 40 mixing specificly.

ctrld

dude... it's a MIDI controller with arcade buttons. it does what you program it to do. sorry but I see no sense in your question whatsoever... what it does with hiphop is what you want it to do, provided your software (which you cleverly left out from your post) has the capability.

The midi fighter with the deckalized mapping works well with hip hop, although i mix hip hop in with electro, dub, house, anything really, i love multi genre mixing.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The major benefits of the MF's are the feel and response of the arcade buttons. Plus it's not just 16 buttons it's the firmware and mappings that really make it special. It's up to you on how to be creative with those things and incorporate them into your mix.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Default worded it wrong

Thanks for the input I understand what a midi controller is and what the midifighter does but what I was really trying to get was feedback from hiphop djs using the midifighter. As in what mappings r u using to mix hiphop or how does it help you with this and that and your experience because I know most midi fighter users are using it to tranform dubstep or electro so I was just trying to see if there was a good benefit also on the hiphop side that I might not know about.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    what it does with hiphop is what you want it to do, provided your software (which you cleverly left out from your post) has the capability.
    Oh and im using tsp2 with dvs via an audio 6

still lookin for feedback from hiphop djs *BUMP TO TOP*

I don't think it would add anything to your mixing.

It will have the same abilities the 16 little pads at the bottom of the X1 has pretty well.

It may stimulate cue-point juggling without Q and S activated, which will sound choppy and repetitive. This could possibly injure your mix.

One day I'll have a 4 channel midi mixer with the ability to plug two midi fighters into it So I only need to use 1 usb for the controllers and 1 for the soundcard.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

I use mine a fair amount and I mix about 50% hip hop.

Last gig I was at, I did a live remix of Mars Ill's "Breathe Slow". Threw the acapella on Deck D and was mixing different instrumentals on A, B and samples on C.

I used the MidiFighter with my tweaked version of the Instant Gratification mapping to add some effects and extra touches to the instrumentals. For example, I'd use the beatmasher to double and triple kicks and snares, use FX combos to make phrases pop and used the Beat Slicer edit mode to chop up the instrumental.

Sky's the limit, really, it's just a matter of how creative you want to be.
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPanda View Post
    I use mine a fair amount and I mix about 50% hip hop.

Last gig I was at, I did a live remix of Mars Ill's "Breathe Slow". Threw the acapella on Deck D and was mixing different instrumentals on A, B and samples on C.

I used the MidiFighter with my tweaked version of the Instant Gratification mapping to add some effects and extra touches to the instrumentals. For example, I'd use the beatmasher to double and triple kicks and snares, use FX combos to make phrases pop and used the Beat Slicer edit mode to chop up the instrumental.

Sky's the limit, really, it's just a matter of how creative you want to be.
    thank you for the input, first real answer ive gotten of someone describing the use of it for them via hiphop n such. leaning towards picking one up and any more feedback is appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast