Promotions Company Charging to promote
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Promotions Company Charging to promote

Hey Guys,

I was recently contacted by a promotions company / group that I had applied to some time ago. At first it all seemed good. When I first spoke to him I was supposed to come down to one of his spots in Manhattan and he was going to let me get on for a bit to kind of like audition me. I spoke to him last night and now he said that he just wants to take me around to the spots he promotes this Saturday. He said that he basically runs 3 promotions groups and is looking to start a fourth. The groups include DJ's and a promotions team. They travel and throw these parties often having bigger names to be the main act and us just kind of opening to build our names. It all sounded OK, until he said that to get started I would have to pay a fee of $1000. So he said to come out this Saturday he'll show me his events and give me the paperwork (contracts agreements) blah blah...

My question is... Is this normal for a promotions company to charge at first?

I could really use some understanding... I have been a DJ for 16 years an once almost had something going. I was on the radio for 6 years and was doing a lot of spots. I stopped for a bit for personal reasons by the time I came back my fire had burned out and I was left starting again. But then I had a radio show so I was getting calls with no help. Now I get nothing. So I never had to go this rout. Is this right?

Please help me.

Thanks,
    djdk

Tech Guru

$1000....u joking? i know of agencies who charge like maybe £100 a year, but $1000 is a piss take
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Yeah that seems to me a bit much. I'm from the UK and agree with Chris that some agencies here charge around £100 which is about $60-$70.

This guy sounds like he wants you to fund the 4th promotion group. I'd be wary. But then again things maybe that little bit more expensive over your way.

Is there not anybody who uses this agency you can speak to?
    CDJ2000 x 3 : DJM900 : Novation Remote SL25 : Ableton L8 : Traktor Pro 2

Banned

It sounds like he wants to bring you on more as a working partner more than anything else. So it all depends on if you want to get involved on the promotion side of things as well.

Depends on how the contract is written up, that will give you full insight into what he's planning on doing. And don't be afraid to change anything in a contract! It's not written in stone, it's just a starting point.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hesitant View Post
    Yeah that seems to me a bit much. I'm from the UK and agree with Chris that some agencies here charge around £100 which is about $60-$70.

This guy sounds like he wants you to fund the 4th promotion group. I'd be wary. But then again things maybe that little bit more expensive over your way.

Is there not anybody who uses this agency you can speak to?
    £100 is about 160 dollars...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

thats what we call a bait and switch, once he has your money, he is gone.
    dont trust that unless you contact the other groups and the people in it.
    Your making him money... i dont see why you pay him to DJ.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Aren't promotors supposed to deal with that sort of shit?

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    £100 is about 160 dollars...
    Oh yeah lol. Was thinking the wrong way round.
    CDJ2000 x 3 : DJM900 : Novation Remote SL25 : Ableton L8 : Traktor Pro 2

Tech Convert

I dose seem a bit much, right...

Tech Convert

I dose seem a bit much, right...

Unfortunately, I'm a long island guy. My peoples get gigs through friends and they are usually residencies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast