Turntable FM and why you should care as a dj/producer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Turntable FM and why you should care as a dj/producer

For some strange reason the DJ TT Turntable FM article won't approve my comment so here is my 2 cents.

I've been on Turntable FM for quite some time now. Here's my opinion so far:

1. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out
    This has the potential to be the next big thing for dj's/producers after SoundCloud. If you’re outside US, use a free VPN service with a server in the US to get in. It's very easy to set up, reed instructions in the comments below.

2. Why you should care:
    • It's really very addictive and 140.000 users in the first month of existence only illustrates that. A leading technology blog called it the “the most exciting social service of the year” and lots of major players in the industry like Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) and Eric Wahlforss (SoundCloud) have been spotted there.

• It’s a perfect way to discover great music and expand your collection in no time because of this killer feature, the “t” button. Every time you hear something played by others that you like, hitting that button will instantly add that track to your collection, brilliant! You can also instantly check out a track on Amazon, iTunes, Spotify and Last FM.

• This is one of the better ways to instantly connect with people who like the same music as you do. Like groups on SoudCloud, there are a communities for every style called rooms. However, Turntable FM brings it to next level, because of the build-in chat and rating system that makes your avatar dance to the music if you like the stuff others are playing. There’s some real sense of chemistry and unity that can be felt, when a whole room full of people are virtually dancing and freaking out on the same tracks.

• It’s a great way to promote yourself as a dj. You earn points and new avatars when people dig your music. The killer feature as described in the article is however that others can “fan” you. This means that they can see in which room you are but also, they will receive an email the moment you start dj-ing. Also you can send out Twitter and Facebook messages to instantly invite others to your virtual party. All perfect tools to gang up with like-minded people in no time.

• Good testing stage for producers. Testing your new track will give you direct and valuable feedback as people can vote “lame” or “awesome” for it and will throw suggestions at you via the chat.

• It’s an awesome radio station when you prefer just to listen to it in the background. The social control generally prevents dj’s from playing inappropriate tracks for the room they are playing in. If you spin a dubstep track for instance in an chill out room, people will immediately hit the “lame” button and your turn is instantly over. You can even get booted for that. This peer pressure to be on the top of your game and play your best tracks generally keeps the quality in the rooms very high.

If you want an invite, hook up to my Facebook and pm me and be sure to hit me in this room if you love (nu) disco music. We’re already with a bunch of cool players to share the best music in this genre with each other
    Last edited by Rolfski; 07-18-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Update: instructions to hook up when outside US

Tech Mentor

holy crap, that works just in US!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mi.Lo View Post
    holy crap, that works just in US!!!
    You can easily get around that. Subscribe to one of the many free VPN services (I use this one) with a server in the US to make Turntable FM "think" you are a US citizen. It's dead easy to set-up. The trick is to disconnect from the VPN service once the page starts to load as you only need it for ID purposes. After that you can move around in all the rooms freely as long as you don't refresh your browser.

If you are experiencing connection problems, clearing your browser cache or switching browsers usually does the trick.

Tech Convert

Wow, excellent read man! Why DJ TT didn't approve this comment is beyond me. You sure got me excited about this. Will pm you on your Facebook

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
    You can easily get around that. Subscribe to one of the many free VPN services (I use this one) with a server in the US to make Turntable FM "think" you are a US citizen. It's dead easy to set-up. The trick is to disconnect from the VPN service once the page starts to load as you only need it for ID purposes. After that you can move around in all the rooms freely as long as you don't refresh your browser.

If you are experiencing connection problems, clearing your browser cache or switching browsers usually does the trick.
    i'll give it a shot

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I've been in for awhile, but haven't played much. It's pretty fun and addictive.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

mac osx solution to non us people any one ?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vjnikon View Post
    mac osx solution to non us people any one ?
    Check post 3 above
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Check post 3 above
    im blind or there is no free plan for mac linux users and cant download dmg file for mac only exe

Quote Originally Posted by vjnikon View Post
    im blind or there is no free plan for mac linux users and cant download dmg file for mac only exe
    I'm not on Mac OS but there are many excellent free VPN solutions out there for all platforms, just do a search.

Another way it get in is to use a free proxy service. Although these proxies are generally not suited for streaming audio, you only need it to get in and then disconnect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast